pipping but not hatching, need the experts help

My chick pipped about 36 hours ago and I can hear chripping but not come out of shell yet. Should I help at 36 hours or wait longer. Please help

There's an excellent article here on BYC about "assisted hatching" , I think by Sally Sunshine. I am on my cellphone, can anyone post a link to it?
Thanks !!

URGENT I REALLY NEED HELP!!! PLEASE ! My chicks weren't due till Sunday, we took the Turner out Thursday night and Friday morning we noticed pip holes, 3 were born on Friday one has dried the other two hasn't them we had one to hatch this morning, we have a few that has big pip holes , so the question is , is it ok to move the one that is dry to the brooder or wait till Sunday which will be 3rd day, there is green poop in the bator now , opening it now will that cause the other ones to shrink wrap

[/IMG]

Oh no dont help!! A bird has to absolutely hatch itself to survive. Its a phenomenon that if they dont come out on their own, they'll die. Trust me when I say if you attempt to help it from the shell, it will die. Its a tiring process and does take some time. Some are quicker than others. Resist the temptation to go in the incubator a thousand times.
This is not always true. I have personally helped chicks hatch after over 24 hours of them trying and they have lived and are happy healthy hens.

I have hatched chicks before with no problem. I now have one in the incubator that has pipped. I can see a tiny bit of red ( blood I assume?) It has been like this for a few hours now. It will be day 21 tomorrow. No rocking or peeping. Does this sound normal?

Well, im sorry for your distress.....I know its confusing when reading conflicting advice, all I can tell you is that my wife ALWAYS helps some chickens out. I could not tell you how many 100's she would have saved over the years. I have even seen her with a chicken in the sink been bathed in warm water to "Unstick" the shell from the chicken.
I am not saying this is right or wrong, simply telling you what works for my wife.

Hope your hatch is successful.

Cheers...........The Dog
I wish i had your wifes advice yesterday and not anyone elses cause on the advice everyone else is giving says to not mess with the eggs that are chripping and move till after 12 to 24 hours, wrong advice they gave, caise the babies pip thru inner liner but end up dieing from not pip outer shell and suffocated and my 7 year daugher was so hirt by it cause her white silkie hatched fine but i had to help it alittle after it pip and couldnt do the zip part so i did it for it and just let it come out the shell on its own, i now wish when i heard the black and the buff color silkies in their eggs chriping and then candled them to see the progress and seen that they pip the inner membrane i was happy that they were doing great but the advice said to wait 12 to 24 hours before they fully brake out themselfs, firstmind is what i should of followed and helped by chipping an air hole in it so they aleast had a chance cause for some odd reason they couldnt chip the eggs their selfs and ended up dieing cause i did step in and help alittle like i did with the first one, and now need to candle the last 5 and see what is going on with those, the white silkie is doing great, it comes to my daughet hand already and walks in so my daughet can pick it up, it was drinking and eatting food about 2 hours after hatching and online it say they can go up to 3 days without eatting, not this one it pretty much hatched dryed off and was thristy and hungry, my daughter loves it, she mane ot tickles and the baby has been in bed with my sence 9am this morning and they both been making vedios together and watching movies on the tablet all morning, it loves daughter already, she can put it down and it runns straight to her, its to cute and to smart already, i just wish i would of followed my first mind then it would of been three little silkies, thanks for listen, going to candle the other 5 and see what we got going on, maybe i could help those ones still.

I have no advice but will share my husband and my first experience at hatching our home eggs. The first one started to pip with a hole at the end of day 21, and well over 12 hours later finally 'broke out'. We have 48 eggs, and as of now, the end of day 23, 14 healthy chicks, 3 actively working their way out, and one that looks dry but alive. Humidity has been around 65% during the hatching process. If the one doesn't hatch in the next hour we may help it after reading these posts. Will update tomorrow evening and let you know how it went.

I am a bad hatcher if they internal pip i put pin hole in shell after 6 hours. If they dont progress after 24 hours i take top of air cell off put cocnut oil on membranes if no blood vessels I help them get there heads out leave the rest of shell in place on put them in a shotglass. When they rest and get there engery back i carefully take them out of the shotglass and lay them on there side for them to finish the hatch. I lost one i didnt help and we were so sad. So now i help. All grow up stong and healthy. I have humity issues and just got a humdkit so hopefully that will fix my problem. Days before hatch my humity goes crazy up and down alot. So i know its my incubater not the health of the chick. I have not lost a chick yet doing this. Each person needed to decide there own course of action and be ok with the outcomes.

Back
Top Bottom