Pipping Now under broody! Panic! PICS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CritterHill, May 1, 2009.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Ok, ok, I need to calm down, I know. DH just gave me a martini to try to help me, but I am hyperventilating a little bit here.

I have a broody, today is day 21. I decided to candle for the first time. I pulled out the beenie silkie egg, set it on the flashlight and saw a pip!

Ack! I stuffed it right back under the hen. I am hoping I didn't disturb Momma too much. I didn't hurt the egg by messing with it at this stage did I?

Ok, I know its probably fine, i'm just freaking out because I thought these eggs were duds. Now I am getting chicks! ACK!

I have a friend coming over with a large dog crate, I'll move Momma and th eggs to it now, since her nest box is about a foot off the ground.

Ok, breathe in breathe out. Ack!

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    yay! you got chicks...now quite freakin and enjoy it. [​IMG]

me,
    g

3. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Good luck! I have no experience with broodies hatching, but I'm sure everything will be great!

BREATHE! [​IMG]

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Congratulations. Now worries, mama knows what to do. Let her take care of everything.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Just remember, chicks hatch everyday and the mama hens have been doing their jobs quite well for centuries. [​IMG]

If it is freaking you out that bad, then why don't you have a night out? Go to the movies, leave mama hen along, and check on them in the morning. [​IMG]

6. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    How exciting, chicks happen everyday dont panic about silly! [​IMG]
    Dog crates work great I have just put the whole nest box in till they start moving around then I just pull it out and place straw or shavings in.
    Cant wait to see pictures!

7. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    You mean I shouldn't set up my sleeping bag out there?

[​IMG]

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    broodies are the best incubator!

relax, sit back and enjoy your martini.

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yay! Babies coming!

Whatever you do, don't keep picking up the hen to see how it's going. It'll only make her mad. Not that I speak from experience or anything...
    [​IMG]

10. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I am not very experienced about this, but it might be a good idea to take the first chicks away when they get dried off. The chicks may hatch over a couple of days or so. If you leave the first chicks with her, she may get up and leave the nest before the stragglers have a chance to hatch. You can put the ones you have removed back with the hen (at night) after everybody has hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by