Pippin's Random Ramblings!!! 🐣😜

Pics
IMG-20210721-WA0011.jpeg

My whole flock! You can see kiwi shoving his face into chick crumb (he absolutely loves the stuff!)
@H-B-O @the_peanut_coop what chickrns do you own? I know about Ang's birds but not about ypurs

I have some questions about house chickens...
1--Do you let them outside?
2--How do you deal with poop?
3--Did you leash train them?
1--I don't let them outside at this time, only because 1) chickens aren't allowed where I am at. 2) I probably could otherwise, if I put something like a large dog run and just gave them their outside time. 3). The d'Uccles are realllllly great flyers!! I have no doubt they would be over my wall in no time. If I could do #2, I totally would have a cute enclosed garden area for them.

2--I use some horse litter called sweetPDZ granules.. It is like really lightweight sand, but scoops like kitty litter. It is also safe for them to eat, in fact it is so small it is great grit for new little baby chicks. It also absorbs all ammonia smells, so it is great at minimizing ammonia for both the chickens and people. And you can imagine how stinky big ol horse pee piles might be, so there really is ZERO odor, in fact a bit of a nice clean smell, in the house. You can see it at the bottom of the polish brooder, looks so clean!

3--I did not leash train them, but they follow me around everywhere AND know their names, so they come running to where ever I am calling them. My d'Uccles were handled so much, mostly because THEY wanted to hop onto me. They I guess treated me as a mama or a nest, so they don't poop on me or the sofa... Elsa the cochin on the other hand.. 💩 poopie girl. They also have super cute chicken diapers, but I usually let them run around my hallway, which is all vinyl flooring, so I just do a quick wipe up. In about 30 minutes, I usually get 1-2 poops, not too bad.

Again, I can't see this really working that well for more than 1 large chicken on an emergency basis (way bigger bird, way bigger poop, way bigger housing needs), but for bantams its easy.. I have had parrots that are bigger!! I do keep things simple, so they still have a large feeder and waterer, and I scoop poop super fast each morning, and get their running around time.

Yesterday, I made a deal where if I can grow my nails (I'm a nail biter), I can hatch 3 more eggs! In a few months of not biting they'll be long enough, so I'm keeping my mind off biting by thinking what breeds I can hatch. l can't narrow it down, there are so many breeds I want!!!
  • Seramas (my dream chicken, but hard to find)
  • Kiwi X Pippin eggs (not guaranteed fertility, i can get them free though)
  • Wyandottes (not exactly small, but really pretty)
  • Sebright (small, pretty, like small wyandottes)
There are a bunch of others I've always wanted to have too. Any suggestions on birds that fit this criteria:
  • Go well with silkie and polish flock
  • Small
  • Friendly
  • Must be chicken
What do you think I should choose?

Yesterday, I made a deal where if I can grow my nails (I'm a nail biter), I can hatch 3 more eggs! In a few months of not biting they'll be long enough, so I'm keeping my mind off biting by thinking what breeds I can hatch. l can't narrow it down, there are so many breeds I want!!!
  • Seramas (my dream chicken, but hard to find)
  • Kiwi X Pippin eggs (not guaranteed fertility, i can get them free though)
  • Wyandottes (not exactly small, but really pretty)
  • Sebright (small, pretty, like small wyandottes)
There are a bunch of others I've always wanted to have too. Any suggestions on birds that fit this criteria:
  • Go well with silkie and polish flock
  • Small
  • Friendly
  • Must be chicken
What do you think I should choose?
D'uccles! I love those tiny birds!

Back
Top Bottom