Pithing/Debraining video

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pdirt, Dec 17, 2013.

1. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    So I've read a lot about how to do this and have a fairly good idea of where to put the knife, angle to put it at and how little force is needed and expected chicken reaction. There are several threads here on BYC with some good photos, but what I really want to see is a video.

I've now watched a lot of videos on chicken slaughter on YouTube and only one used the pithing method. The guy was concerned of offending some folks and while he gave some very good info, the video purposefully did not show the actual pithing, he only talked about it.

Has anyone found such a video online or do you have one you would be willing to share with me privately? And if I do end up finding one online, I'll be sure to update this thread with a link. Or if I learn how to successfully do pithing, I'll make a video of it and put it on YouTube.

2. pdirt

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Well, that seems to be the case...ask a question and then I finally find the answer!

I finally found a video on yt that actually shows the pithing. Mind you, he severs the neck artery first then piths, but it seemed pretty humane and straightforward to me. It also seemed that he simply stuck the bird in the mouth and did not turn the knife a quarter turn like I've read elsewhere.

The pithing is shown at about 3:55:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. Timskins

Timskins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Surprise, Az
    Whats the idea behind doing this?

4. pdirt

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Timskins, the idea is to render the chicken brain dead, instantly. It scrambles their brains, and with the brain gone, their ability to feel pain is gone. For those who are able to perform the method correctly, it sounds like the most humane way to kill a bird, whether for mercy or food. It also supposedly greatly relaxes the feathers which some have said makes for amazingly fast and easy dry plucking, no wet stinky hot water dunk.

I have not yet killed any of our birds and am researching methods for doing it as painless as possible.

There is also a famous video going around of respectful chicken harvest (not pithing, but standard neck bleed out), which I thought was well done:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Thanks for the video. I plan on learning how to dry pluck. They say it makes for a much better looking carcass. [​IMG]

Edited: I see what you mean about not turning the knife. hmmm

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by