Pithing/Debraining video

pdirt

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2013
Eastern WA
So I've read a lot about how to do this and have a fairly good idea of where to put the knife, angle to put it at and how little force is needed and expected chicken reaction. There are several threads here on BYC with some good photos, but what I really want to see is a video.

I've now watched a lot of videos on chicken slaughter on YouTube and only one used the pithing method. The guy was concerned of offending some folks and while he gave some very good info, the video purposefully did not show the actual pithing, he only talked about it.

Has anyone found such a video online or do you have one you would be willing to share with me privately? And if I do end up finding one online, I'll be sure to update this thread with a link. Or if I learn how to successfully do pithing, I'll make a video of it and put it on YouTube.

Well, that seems to be the case...ask a question and then I finally find the answer!

I finally found a video on yt that actually shows the pithing. Mind you, he severs the neck artery first then piths, but it seemed pretty humane and straightforward to me. It also seemed that he simply stuck the bird in the mouth and did not turn the knife a quarter turn like I've read elsewhere.

The pithing is shown at about 3:55:

Last edited:
Timskins, the idea is to render the chicken brain dead, instantly. It scrambles their brains, and with the brain gone, their ability to feel pain is gone. For those who are able to perform the method correctly, it sounds like the most humane way to kill a bird, whether for mercy or food. It also supposedly greatly relaxes the feathers which some have said makes for amazingly fast and easy dry plucking, no wet stinky hot water dunk.

I have not yet killed any of our birds and am researching methods for doing it as painless as possible.

There is also a famous video going around of respectful chicken harvest (not pithing, but standard neck bleed out), which I thought was well done:

Last edited:
Thanks for the video. I plan on learning how to dry pluck. They say it makes for a much better looking carcass.
wink.png

Edited: I see what you mean about not turning the knife. hmmm

Last edited:
I scalded my first time and plucked with a mechanical plucker. You get some bruising occasionally, esp until you figure out the knack, but the carcasses look fine. No complaints from me. If you’re more used to proper scalding time, temp control, I think you can do better still. Hand plucking would eliminate any bruising. You don’t have to dry pluck to get an attractive carcass.

Theoretically pithing loosens the feathers so you can avoid scalding if you prefer avoiding that step. You’ll still need cooling baths (big approx bread pan-sized chunks of ice last longer) even without the scalding. Do one bath after plucking, a second right after that (the “clean” part of processing starts with the second bath). Then eviscerate, etc., then a final cooling bath. Dry the carcass and let sit in the refrigerator uncovered or in an unsealed plastic bag for 12-24 hrs to allow rigor mortise to occur and pass to produce more tender meat (if you can), then shrink wrap in heat shrink poultry bags (be sure to get big enough bags) and add the birds to the freezer.

I scalded my first time and plucked with a mechanical plucker. You get some bruising occasionally, esp until you figure out the knack, but the carcasses look fine. No complaints from me. If you’re more used to proper scalding time, temp control, I think you can do better still. Hand plucking would eliminate any bruising. You don’t have to dry pluck to get an attractive carcass.

Theoretically pithing loosens the feathers so you can avoid scalding if you prefer avoiding that step. You’ll still need cooling baths (big approx bread pan-sized chunks of ice last longer) even without the scalding. Do one bath after plucking, a second right after that (the “clean” part of processing starts with the second bath). Then eviscerate, etc., then a final cooling bath. Dry the carcass and let sit in the refrigerator uncovered or in an unsealed plastic bag for 12-24 hrs to allow rigor mortise to occur and pass to produce more tender meat (if you can), then shrink wrap in heat shrink poultry bags (be sure to get big enough bags) and add the birds to the freezer.
Where do you get your heat shrink bags? That would be much nicer than butcher paper.

Poultry Shrink Bags-Clear 13" x 18" Chickens or Rabbits-w/zip ties included/2.5 Mil/Freezer Safe (100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077RP5SPL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_NfDzDb8JGQTT4

These are sold by TPSP. Be certain you get the right size. I didn’t notice the sizes and my birds were a tight fit. They worked but on some, the bottom split a little after shrinking and I had to double-bag. (They were around five to seven pounds after processing.) If you go to Amazon and search TPSP you’ll see their other sizes. I bought some from another company in the larger size because they were cheaper but they smelled bad, did not include zip ties, straw (for air expulsion), or instructions. I would have kept them but the smell made me uneasy. I think you’ll like them. Do read the instructions... it’s not as intuitive as you might think. Well worth the price, BTW. Keeps the birds completely free of ice, plus they’ll last longer in the fridge after they’ve defrosted.

I’d post a pic but I can’t figure out how to copy it from Amazon. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom