Pithing??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sewhorsey, May 6, 2009.

1. sewhorsey

sewhorsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Hello,

In my quest to quickly and humanely dispatch my meat birds I recently came across the "pithing method"...After Googling this term, I get that it has something to do with a hind brain and is usually after stunning (?)...

Can somebody with experience help me out with some info/tutorial?

Thanks so much! Amy

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
  3. sewhorsey

Apr 27, 2009
    Thanks for the link!

That was very helpful. Could pithing be used after slitting and bleeding out is completed? Will the feathers loosen if the bird is pithed after death?

4. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:from the above mentioned post:
    "Pithing was never intended for this purpose. In reality pithing is a means of rendering a specimen immobile for disection/study purposes.
    We used it in biology class with frogs & kittens. The objective is to have a brain dead but still breathing/heart beating subject that can be cut open without muscle reflex.

If done correctly, pithing will scramble the brain & sever the spinal cord. What you end up with is a animal that is very much alive, but unable to feel pain, or move."

5. sewhorsey

Apr 27, 2009
    Hi there,

I read that part of the post, but I have also heard of applying this technique to loosen feathers.

Has anyone done this? I can't see a problem with doing this to a bird already dead, but would it function to loosen feathers?

Thanks, Amy

6. Big George

Big George Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Stick with the tried and true. I use a cone and they are dead in a matter of seconds. Very clean and a good bleed out . Water with a few drops of dish soap in it at 150 degrees lessens the smell and helps with saturation. Feathers come right out. Did two cornish this morning.

7. sewhorsey

Apr 27, 2009
    I haven't tried soap in the scalding water before. Thanks for the tip. I also am currently using a cone and regular scald and it works fine.

I am still curious about the "old timers" who will use a pithing like technique to loosen feathers. Has anyone tried this?

8. sesa

sesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Thurmont, Md
    Sounds like zombie chickens to me

9. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    I have tried pithing birds before cutting the neck arteries, but it's difficult to tell if it has worked in my experience. I mostly do it to comfort myself assuming that if they are brain dead they don't know what is happening.

10. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    My grandmother used to pith birds and then dry pick them. The pithing loosened the feathers and she could dry pick a chicken in two minutes flat. After reading the instructions for pithing in my 60-year-old Practical Poultry Management book I don't see how you could have a bird that was "live but unable to feel pain" after that. The brain would be pretty much destroyed if you followed the instructions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by