Placement of food in coop

Teresa D

Songster
May 18, 2020
Wisconsin
Are there any ideas on this topic?
I would like to keep food and water inside the coop and let them come in for it, if they are in their run.

I dont keep the food in the coop because it can draw pest but I know know some people do. do you have a picture of the inside of your coop so we can see where it might work?

I have secondary feeders and water all over. My eggs are bigger as everybody can get what they need as the pecking order can't control everyone of the food and water stations. I just cut plastic bottles in half and screw then to what ever. My main food and water is still used and in place but in feed and water the smaller stations daily when I collect the eggs. It keeps completion and stress down.

I keep feed and water inside coop, but my coop is large and my waterer is heated during winter. It's also protected form rodents.
My run is not predator/pest(rodents and wild birds) or weather proof,
so would not be good out there.

My question was if I have to put food and water outside? I suppose it would be a good idea, however I was thinking if they are outside they are foraging and water would be suffice. I will probably do both as long as I can secure the feed at night. We live on a prairie so we have everything here. My chicks are 5 weeks old today, and the weather here is only 60 today so far the chicks are still in the coop only out maybe an hour tops if it gets real warm. They moved into there coop at 4 weeks old.

So here is my coop. Chicks are 5 weeks today. They moved in at 4 weeks. I did a big no no and let them outside as it was 80 degrees. They came in the coop on there own while I was setting everything up. So they go in and out without a problem. They love their coop though. Maybe because of their age they prefer to be inside especially if it is cold which it is here in the midwest. This is the inside of my coop. The water is wedged in so it can not spill and elevated. The coop and run is on one long 20FT skid. So I will be moving it at least weekly. I have their nesting boxes blocked off (with a piece of rubber) for now I will change that when we get closer to laying eggs.

Attachments

• O9cyaQtgQIO3bQVucZ3Glg.jpg
    O9cyaQtgQIO3bQVucZ3Glg.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 9
  • itP0Qe7hQkC4VxjVM3m7fg.jpg
    itP0Qe7hQkC4VxjVM3m7fg.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 9
  • vOj25%BWRlmaWXQMEIp5pw.jpg
    vOj25%BWRlmaWXQMEIp5pw.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 9
  • kKRVl2OETBeYBp4ZXOUL0g.jpg
    kKRVl2OETBeYBp4ZXOUL0g.jpg