Placement of nesting boxes

You may need to use a lot of cement blocks to be heavy enough if your bank of nests is very big.

You might consider sinking a post or two or four instead. Do you have a post hole digger? Around here, they can be rented. They are much better than digging the hole with a shovel because so much less of the ground is disturbed. Then tamp dirt around the posts; don't cement them in. I'd go 30" - 3' deep.

It doesn't matter how high above the ground the posts are; you can tie to them at ground level if you want. Or have them high enough to hold a roof and/or siding on three sides (now or as an option for later) if you want more protection for the nests.

Attachments

• B29A9978-2200-4852-94B1-9CC60F8F12A4.jpeg
    B29A9978-2200-4852-94B1-9CC60F8F12A4.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 5
OK, the moment y'all have been waiting for:

View attachment 3753723

There is a yardstick on top for reference. Each nest area is just under one cubic foot. Obviously, the outside will be painted.
I'm still confused - these are just plain nestboxes with no real weatherproofing to make them specifically for outside use. Is the spot in the photo where the nests are staying? It looks like the inside of a shed. Why can't this be placed inside the coop instead?

The shed is where the nests are currently being STORED, since the coop has yet to be built. I had to do some major digging to get them out to photograph them. (I also do not actually have any chickens yet.) I am thinking of just putting this in the coop since there will be enough room. It's probably better for the birds to do so.

The shed is where the nests are currently being STORED, since the coop has yet to be built. I had to do some major digging to get them out to photograph them. (I also do not actually have any chickens yet.) I am thinking of just putting this in the coop since there will be enough room. It's probably better for the birds to do so.
For sure, easier for you, easier for the birds. Since the coop is still in the works you can plan to accommodate for the size.

Back
Top Bottom