Plan my run! :D

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tweetyflights, Apr 13, 2012.

1. tweetyflights

tweetyflights Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Seeing as how it seems that we will have an actual spring this year, I've decided to redo my run. It is an 8x3 foot run, currently only housing 1 lone male valley quail (getting more this spring/summer when the sellers come back up). We have freezing winters, and scorching summers (-20 to +30) and I wanted to put sand as a substrate once all the grass is gone. I want plants that won't need much water, are 100% safe, put I'll be able to create a little "mini- jungle" with them ( bushy, but still eye-pleasing and lots of space for him to run underneath/ in between the plants). I would also like to add various rocks, driftwood(what I can find) and possibly some terra- cotta pot hideouts, unless these would overheat. There also has to be plenty of shade.

Some more questions [​IMG]:

1. will the sand overheat or get really dusty in the hot sun? I will either be using play sand or concrete/building sand. Would fine or coarse be better and should I put pea gravel or anything underneath? Also, how deep?

2. As previously stated, what plants and how many should I put of each? I'm thinking different types of grasses, bushes, plants and ?

3. Finally, does anyone know a seller/breeder that is willing to send either a couple chicks, or two hens to Canada? BC in particular. :)

Thank you everyone~ Tweets

2. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know a few breeders, Pm me and I'll give you their info

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sand will work well, but I would advise a roof over the run not only to keep the sand from over heating, but keep the place dry. Dampness and moisture grows bacteria.

Quail love grasses. I have found that they really enjoy Bermuda Grass. I pot up different types of grasses I find at nurseries and put them around in the aviary. When the quail eat them down to the nub, I remove the pot and let it regrow before replacing it back in with the quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by