planning a cabinet incubator

JRNash

Crowing
May 16, 2015
Mauriceville,Texas
I know this topic has been beat to death but I'm thinking about building a cabinet incubator. I've got the idea in my head of taking a 200watt ceramic personal heater apart to supply the heat and one of two fans. Nothing fancy here. Where I want to try something different is in the construction of the cabinet itself. I plan to cover the inside walls with ceramic floor tiles. Just like in your house, they would be bonded and grouted. Next I will construct the cabinet so that the inner walls act as duct work with the outer,outer wall being insulated and finished. The end product would in theory work like an Automotive Cross Flow paint booth. The use of the ceramic tiles (I'm hoping)should help stabilize temperatures. I will buy 3egg turning trays with motors from tractorsupply.
Now. This is still just the planning stages. Feel free to offer suggestions comments ect

sounds like a interesting plan. what kind of controls are you planning on using

I haven't really settled yet. I've got a strong background in mechanics,electronics and hvac. To be honest I'm going to try the hot water thermostat first,simply to test what the stabilizing effect of the tiles and cross flow will be.

humidity isn't hard to control especially if you live in a low humidity area. The basic rules are surface area and air speed. Either can be changed to adjust humidity manually or automatically. (theres also units designed to add humidity as a vapor). You will need to consider where a humidity can be added in your design.

Im in Southeast Texas, ( Mauriceville) the Humidity is stratospheric.lol I was thinking pan water with wick. One of my goals is for this not to just be a very dependable incubator,but also visually appealing.

Picture a tile wall,at the top,the heating unit with a fan inside...the wall of the cabinet blowing heat out. On the bottom opposite wall another fan,mounted internally sucking air Out of the cabinet,into the duct walls where it travels BACK to the opposite side reheating and blowing out.

Back
Top Bottom