Planning Board & the annoying neighbors UPDATE 5/26/2011 Happy Ending!

Quote:
If you do this, furnish it lightly (thrift shops?) and stay over once in a while. You'd have to for insurance anyway, most likely. Some insurance policies consider a residence as empty if not stayed in for a certain period of time (mine is 30 days). If no one is home for 30 days, then I have to buy supplemental insurance or they will not cover the house or contents if something happens during that period!

By staying over once in a while you could call it a second residence.
wink.png

Your insurance company may also have some issues with the plan. You should also look at the laws and talk to your insurance agent about what constitues "attractive nuisance." A good umbrella liablity policy would also help. If you plan on selling any livestock/agricultural products from your farmette, it could also change your liability. Talk to your insurance agent...

I am not too worried about Liability I can get a farm policy that will cover any products I sell (I am not really to that stage yet, I just want to house the few animals I have now). With living over a barn there is the issue of fire hazard because there will be hay stored in the barn. We will have to put up a fire barrier between the living area and the barn, but we should be able to get insurance. I wouldn't call it a second residence; the insurance would be more expensive even if I was there every 30 days, because a second home is not always occupied. We plan on letting my sister live there so it will be occupied all the time, but we would probably have to get a landlord policy. I actually was going to be an insurance agent at one point (I got my license and everything) I just never went through with it. So I know a few things about insurance.

Update: MAD MAD MAD
somad.gif

It seems like a day doesn’t go by without that biddy causing us more grief. We are in the process of getting the title done by the abstract company, which is going to cost around $400. We learned though that we need an attorney to actually certify that there are no restrictions on the title. So, we asked an attorney that we have done business with before if he could do it because he would give us a good deal. He said he would love to, BUT because that biddy came in and talked to one of his partners about the land he couldn’t because it would be a conflict of interest!
he.gif
ERRRRRRRRRRR So now we have to find another attorney to do it and they will probably charge us more.
hit.gif

THEN this weekend when my hubby went to the local convenience store to pick up something our one friend there told him that the biddy was in saying that she was going to make sure that we won’t be able to keep our animals on our property no matter what the Town says!
barnie.gif
OMG what is her issue! She doesn’t even live anywhere near our property! It is like she has made this her personal crusade for no other reason then to make us miserable and we had never even met this lady before this all started. I can’t believe there are such evil, miserable people in the world that would do this just to cause strife. I could see her taking issue if she lived by the property but she lives on the other side of the subdivision, there is no way our teeny, tiny family farm would effect her in any way.

PS thanks for all the support and advice, I think talking to people on BYC is the only way I am staying sane through all of this.
hugs.gif

That person (not a lady
smack.gif
) is a psycho! Just the fact that she lives no where near the property should have her thrown out of your business by the zoning board and whoever else is involved. I just don't get it!
somad.gif

How can supposedly intelligent people let this sicko pursue you and your claim? I read the whole thread just so you know that I'm aware of all the legallities involved but common sense should somehow be a part of this as well.
somad.gif

Toast'n Jelly :

That person (not a lady
smack.gif
) is a psycho! Just the fact that she lives no where near the property should have her thrown out of your business by the zoning board and whoever else is involved. I just don't get it!
somad.gif

How can supposedly intelligent people let this sicko pursue you and your claim? I read the whole thread just so you know that I'm aware of all the legallities involved but common sense should somehow be a part of this as well.
somad.gif

aww thanks
hugs.gif
maybe I will start referring to her as the psycho instead of that biddy
smile.png
I just can't wait until Nov 10th when it goes back in front of the Zoning board, although I know even if they approve the variance the psycho will still probably cause us trouble. I am just hoping my step-sister’s attorney boyfriend will represent us (and give us a deal) if it goes to court, I want to see her face when we walk in with a high end attorney from down state and she is struck with some local small town attorney.
wink.png

Quote:
I think you should get a lawyer to file harassment charges against the lady. She is going around town in my eyes making threats against you and your animals. What is she going to do poison them or something if your not around?

I would find out if you can sue her for harassment since she lives nowhere near you and this matter does not affect her.

You obviously can supeona lots of people to testify about what she is saying about you with her big mouth all around town.

Quote:
I think you should get a lawyer to file harassment charges against the lady. She is going around town in my eyes making threats against you and your animals. What is she going to do poison them or something if your not around?

Yes I was going to suggest this too but I'm not sure that the OP is willing to spend more money than she is now. She is harassing her that's a given.

If she tries taking us to court after we get a variance and prove there are no restrictions, we will counter sue her. We are still trying to place nice and not sink to her level, so we won't sue her unless she tries to bring a civil suite to court trying to get us to remove the animals (if she looses, we can counter sue her for our court expenses). Which I think she might, considering she has already talked to an attorney.

YOu dont need to pay a lawyer to file harrassment charges aganist someone..
Just go to the police station or the court house?
I hope you are documenting everything... and also you should get written statements from the folks that are telling you these things that shes saying about you guys.

Quote:
I would actually contact her.. and offer to sell her the land at 2.5x the actual cost of the land.. Call it a PITA fee, because no matter what, they CAN NOT stop you from doing this
smile.png
Then you can go somewhere around the corner from her and do it anyways
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom