Planning Board & the annoying neighbors UPDATE 5/26/2011 Happy Ending!

Quote:
Where's out here? We are looking to move to Chautauqua County NY, if we move anywhere, it's Amish country, no one is going to give a hoot if another farm pops up in Amish country.
smile.png

I am glad to read the city is being helpful. I would want to complete the process even if it wasn't required because of that woman. Even if it was just a few months. I just wish she actually lived right next door.Lol, I would buy the house next to her and set up some compost and mulch piles. Mulch is suprisingly stinky. Best wishes!

Well we got approved to submit a formal site plan, so now we need to find an engineer to draw one up... joy. So that's where we are until next month. The dragon lady showed up with her posse but she wasn't able to say anything. I am sure she will have plenty to say next month though.

Quote:
I just read this thread, but this is what everyone in our area does - a non-permanent structure, either on skids or cinder blocks, does not need a permit nor a variance,

Quote:
I just read this thread, but this is what everyone in our area does - a non-permanent structure, either on skids or cinder blocks, does not need a permit nor a variance,

That’s what we decided to do, because it would be easier to raise the animals on pasture with movable little structures instead of one big barn. BUT the wonderful Town of Plattsburgh still requires us to have an approved site plan, even if we no longer need a variance, because it’s for agriculture use. We are zoned R-3 and the town's zoning guidelines state that for R-2, R-3, and R-4 zoned land over 7 acres agriculture use is permitted but only with an approved site plan. How it was explained to me was that if you wanted to own a couple chickens in the Town of Plattsburgh you would have to have 7 acres and an approved site plan if your property is zoned R-2, R-3 or R-4, which most of the Town of Plattsburgh is.

The funny thing is that in the new town Planning Guideline for 2010 it says they should ensure that their zoning policies do not unreasonably restrict small farm projects....
th.gif

Last edited:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My hubby called the engineer/surveyor up to do the formal plans.... We are using the same ones that surveyed the property a few years back, because they already have the survey on file and it would reduce the cost. Hubby's conversation went well with the engineer and he said he would call the town so he would know exactly what they want..... turns out the town wants drainage plans and topographical maps and all kind of stuff we didn't think we would need. The engineer was really nice but he said with everything the town wants its probably going to cost around $10,000.

barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
th.gif

So that brought our plans to a screeching halt.... there is good news though! The engineer offered to buy the property from us
smile.png
Now I just have to convince my mother to sell the property (which we really don't want to do), but it looks like we won't be able to use the property for anything unless we want to start a subdivision. The land holds sentimental value but we have reached our limit we are packing up and getting out of here!

Back
Top Bottom