Planning/Building my First ever Chicken Coop. Need help and ideas!

How many chicken coop roosts for 3 hens?

Votes: 28 66.7%

Votes: 9 21.4%

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • or more

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Hello! Glad yer getting into it, it's very beneficial in more ways than one. I have a small "coop" I built that's the same size as yours, that we used for a "brood coop" When one of the girls sets, we put her and her clutch in it, kinda private, secluded. Her own water and feed. Truth is, you need at least 2 sq ft for each bird for the breeds you have. We built a 6'w x 8l' x 6' high coop with an external set of nesting boxes (3) for 11 hens and a rooster. Poop board, for easy cleaning, and 2 4' long roosts from 2x3 's. Auto "pop" door, with plenty of room for feed and water / grit and calcium inside. We have ventilation, windows , and entry door. I'll try to post pics. Believe me, you'll need a larger coop, or wish you had on very shortly. It's not "cold" where you are so you really don't have to worry much about frostbite, and if it does get below freezing, that little coop will be fine with 3 birds.

Thanks for the tips!

I live in a housing development and can not have many chickens. I haven't purchased any chicks yet. I'm still researching breeds and local farms. I have a idea of what I want but nothing is set in stone. With the bird flu going around I am nervous to buy and want to make sure I know what I am getting. I also want to make sure the coop and run is complete. You think that the coop is to small for 3 hens? The coop is 38”H x 47”W x 40”D plus the 2 nesting boxes we added. The run will be fairly large, we are still planning it. I also plan to let them free range the yard. I have a half acre of land fenced in (6 foot privacy fence).

I researched yesterday about the poop board after another member suggested it. It seems like a great idea! I just don't think with the size of my coop and the floor I installed I will need it or it will fit. Do you have any suggestions for what I should use for bedding? There are so many options out there!

This is The Drummonds Chicken Coop I plan on making our run similar to there run.

This is the flooring I installed last night. It's tile. This way I can sweep out the floor and lightly mop it.

Another view of the floor. I also lined the nesting boxes and walls with tile in hopes to make it easier to clean.

This is our backyard. I have neighbors on both sides. 3 chickens is our limit unfortunately

Thanks for the tips! I haven't heard of poop boards before. My husband thought I was crazy when I mentioned it to him. Lol
lau.gif

With those dimensions, you have enough room for 4 or 5 bantam breed, 3 medium sized breeds, or 2 large breed. Most white egg layers are medium sized. Most brown layers are large heavy breeds. I'd steer clear of Easter Eggers, they can have a wide range in size. The smallest in my flock and the largest in my flock are both Easter Eggers from Ideal Poultry.

Will do! Thank you so much!

Tomorrow I am purchasing paint. The roof as you can see is black and red (hard to work with in my opinion). I decided to go with a gray wood stain for the coop. After it is painted I will put the roof on the nesting box. Than finally put it on it's legs. It seems like I have been doing this forever. I want my girls already!

Sounds like you are doing great, I am still in the planning stages of my coop but we will get started soon I hope! All of ours are still little chicks so they are fine in brooder boxes until we are able to construct the permanent building, but I am enjoying seeing your progress!

Back
Top Bottom