Planning for Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by oceansideangora, Jan 17, 2013.

1. oceansideangora

oceansideangora New Egg

Jan 17, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I have been reading through threads, and websites in preparation for getting ducks. But I am wondering if I am on the right track:

We live on a little over an acre, lots of open land, and we actually back to a lake though it is NOT my plan to allow my domestic ducks down there (there is a wildlife preserve across the lake and we have a lot of wild waterfowl, so I doubt domestic is legal there in any case).

I am instead, planning on making a duck yard, with access to my 3 fenced in yards. There they will serve as slug control, and also pets. They will be pets first and foremost.

I am planning on 4-6 ducks total. Not planning on breeding or hatching eggs. and I am leaning toward larger breeds due to how much wildlife abounds here. I am not planning on letting the ducks out when I am not there, but you never know. I want calm friendly ducks, and really that is what matters. I would prefer to buy from a small farm, not a hatchery. I do want good foragers, and I do not want muscovies.

The pen will be covered with netting, and I am thinking of making it out of chain link panels. It will be located within 20 feet of my house. It will have a wading pool, and a house, I am thinking a dog house style with a door that can be locked. How large should this be for 4-6 ducks? Do the ducks need to be locked in at night? I am thinking yes, but just double checking. If so, do I need to keep water in with them at night? Is a pen 10X20 large enough?

I would prefer to wait till the end of June to buy ducks - is that too late in the hatching season? If it is, I will be looking in April. Trying to plan having to raise them around 2 trips :)

Finally, does anyone know of a small breeder with a good breed in either Western WA, or Oregon? I am located at the very south end of WA next to the ocean.

Thanks for any help to this duck newbie!

2. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Yes your ducks should be locked in at night. NEVER underestimate a predator. They will stop at nothing. Also do not put water in with your ducks at night. It is will just make a mess. Do not put food in with your ducks either. If you put food, then you must have water (ducks need water to wash their beaks and such after eating.) Make sure the enclosure has netting over the entire TOP as hawks are excellent at swooping in (even in close proximity to the house) to getting a duck. Trust me, I learned this the hard way.
    As far as size of building, I am not the best to answer. Make sure you have ventilation, dry bedding and such. As far as breeds go, Khaki Campbells and Welsh Harlequins are AWESOME foragers, calm, and lay prolifically. They are also not really able to fly and are beautiful birds.

Good luck and welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by