Planning out my coop...

Quote:
You know the solution, Pat. Come on back!

If you can't come to stay, I have a spare bed whenever you need it.

Like, when you come down to help me finish my tractor!
big_smile.png

I am in Tenn and do not need insulation. Heat will kill them ten to one over cold imo. Ventilation is key to good health. Drafts great in warm weather, lousy in cold weather. Plan accordingly. Ventilate all year. I would run water and power to coop area beforehand. I do not regret doing that. I put a yard hydrant about 10 ft from coop and ran power (12-2-AWG) into it along with 8-wire tel line for whatever. (Hey, the chooks might want to hear some Bach on rainy days!) I have two 48" dual shop lights in my 8x16 coop for 24 birds. I also put two elec outlets in there for a box fan set in one or another window to help with heat in summertime and to provide power for further improvements as I think of them. Also to power a 5-mile fence charger to discourage coons from climbing in to pen.

Quote:
I don't think my husband, who works in Toronto, would deal well with the commute LOL

Mike, if you're in that area, you would get some very minor benefits from insulation if you just enjoy Doing Things To The Coop but from a practical standpoint I would not bother. Do make sure you have lotsa ventilation, not just winter-worthy type but LOTS for summertime.

Good luck, have fun, eat some good food on my behalf,

Pat

Just another question, does it matter where you place the nesting box in the coop? I was currently planning on placing it on the one side that doesn't get any sun? Or does this not matter? Just curious! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom