Plans for my Pigeon Loft??

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by pen1124, Dec 5, 2011.

1. pen1124

pen1124 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    So i plan on having a pair of Birmingham rollers or Doneks, but my question is how to make their loft...

This is what i created and tell me what you guys thing, i didn't include it in the plans, but the height of the pen is 6'
    [​IMG]
    The picture below the picture of he front of the loft is an inside view. and the ficture to the right of the front of the loft is a birds eye view with the roof off. The metal mesh at the lofts bottom will be 1/2" squares. Just to make it clear, the loft will not be on the floor, it will be in the upper corner of the outside of the pen, with the front of the loft facing into the enclosed pen. I hope this makes sense to you guys [​IMG]

2. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I wish It was scale but for a pair i like to have at least 4 sq feet.

3. lonewolf72

lonewolf72 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    When I started I had 4 homing pigeons. My loft was a old chicken pen. It was 6.5ft high 5 ft wide in the front, the sides where 7 ft long and the back was 5 ft long and 6 ft high. The nest box are on the back wall.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    For flying birds you don't need a large pen, can you just make a loft 4 X 8 X 6...then just a small pen off that (so new bird can see out)

just rev. loft and pen

5. Tippler

Tippler Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Desert Hills (PHX)
    I think you should follow a general rule of 2 square feet per bird. I know the boys up in NY often do less then one but that is generally not healthy for the birds nor humane IMO.
    I have a loft right now that is 96SQf at capacity and it needs to be cleaned daily.
    Build as big as you can because if you allow them to breed they pile up quick.

6. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Just a tip, nest are better if stacked ,if they are side by side they have to have a pration between them or one pair will comandeer them all. Even if you only have one pair its better to stack two nest so they can have babys in one and lay in another ,as they usually start a second batch before the first is weaned. Also make it so that expansion is available because they are like potato chips! Can't just have one pair,they multiply fast!lol

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Quote:What do you mean stack nest?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  8. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Above and below each other.

9. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Since youre keeping flying birds like rollers and doneks, the more confined, the better. More energy to burn once you kick them doors open. I keep around 20 rollers in a 3x3x3 kitbox. They have plenty of room. They get flown 1-2 times a day. These are competiton birds so they need to be kept in shape by flying, and I keep em on a tight diet. 1 cup of grain per 10 birds. I keep a separate loft for birds that are breeding and raising babies.

10. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Quote:How do you have nests above and below each other?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by