Planting a garden for my chickens

I do a little of that. I trellis peas each spring up the back of my run, and the chickens are welcome to eat what they can reach. I also shell overly matured peas from those plants and chuck them through the run fence.
Things like this would also help provide shade too. (If planted on the necessary side of the run.)

Things like this would also help provide shade too. (If planted on the necessary side of the run.)

Since I'm using peas (which don't do well in summer heat) they don't provide too much shade, but in a hotter environment with heat tolerant plants, the way I have it placed is ideal because I have the pea patch set up where a lot of morning/midday sun hits.

I'm planning to put sunflowers on the west side of my new coop to shade the wire from the afternoon heat.

Mammoth Russian -- the really TALL ones.
I've thought about doing the same thing. However I would also have to stake them which would be a huge pain in the butt! Super tall ones don't often fare too well in the high winds we get. The shorter ones do OK though.

Since my hens will be kept in the run I want to provide plenty of foraging plants for them. I have seen raised beds covered by wire mesh to protect the grass seeds and roots while allowing the chickens to peck the tips. Has anyone done this? If so, could you describe or upload pics for me to see designs please?
What do you plant?
Suggestions? Ideas?
Thanks in advance.
I've built a fodder table shelter with success. Although now that it is in operation I would add a few upgrades.

Last edited:
Do tell @Black Rabbit Homestead !
I've been curious if you had a new vid or post about how it worked out.
Currently I dont have an updated video, but will be making one do to popular demand. Once its spring and things are a bit greener so you guys can see it in action. I would add a few upgrades though. someone had suggested a removable top. which I love. I also suggest refreshing the seed mixture to the season. to make out production. Im thinking cool season grasses and legumes, mixed with warm season grasses and herbs. Then in winter a switch to oats, and Austrian winter peas.
Im constantly looking for ways I can defeat my little destroyers. I want the run to be green and alive. Last year i planted 2 mulberry trees in the run. protected by wire. Mulberry grows tall fast and so far has done magnificently. I'm also planning on adding some mushroom spawn into the bark chips to the run, as well as some inoculated logs but that's an experiment for the spring.

Back
Top Bottom