Planting veggies in the chicken run...will it work?

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
Has anybody planted a garden or a few random plants in their chicken yard? My chickens don't bother most of the weeds, so I am wondering if they would get along with...say...lettace? I would be growing for them anyways, but I wouldn't want them to eat it until it is ready.

I use chickens to weed the pots of my evergreen trees, They do not eat evergreen trees. When I had so many chickens they ran out of weeds and then plants in general around the property they started eating evergreen trees. Even if you plant stuff they normally do not eat or are poisonous to them they will eat it just because its in their nature to peck every plant they can reach. And when they run out of things they like or are healthy to them they start pecking plants they do not like.

Maybe,

They may just have a feast when you pull the wire off.
It will depend on how tasty the new plants are, and how tasty everything else is.
Well, I guess they would eat the lettuce eventually. It will work out. Thank you!

I use chickens to weed the pots of my evergreen trees, They do not eat evergreen trees. When I had so many chickens they ran out of weeds and then plants in general around the property they started eating evergreen trees. Even if you plant stuff they normally do not eat or are poisonous to them they will eat it just because its in their nature to peck every plant they can reach. And when they run out of things they like or are healthy to them they start pecking plants they do not like.
If only you could see my grapevines...

Once I had my chickens get out and they all started eating the Virginia Creeper berries. The next morning five were dead. I absolutely agree, it is in their nature!

Back
Top Bottom