Planting vines around an enclosed run?

I am in zone 8a I believe. I used to have a great perennial flowering vine but it attracted caterpillars like crazy .... and I don't like caterpillars. It spread like crazy though .... so maybe I could plant that one again. It had a really great purple flower on it and smelled amazing.

Wonder if it was one of the passion flower vines?

Keep in mind you will likely NEVER get the vines off the fence, or the fencing OUT of the vines.

Most fencing will only support the weight for so long before it collapses

If you want something that will grow easily and VERY fast, try hops. You can order the rhizomes online and once established, the vines will grow every year. The flowers cones produced are fragrant and chickens love to eat them. If you have any left you can use them for beer (like we do).

You can also use
Rosemarey,
Salvia gregii
Flame acanthus

or any small fast growing woody bush, easy to prune, many are evergreen. I'm in TX and need serious wind break and sun block. Also, use fencing lattice- wooden and recycled plastic at home depot/lowes- very easy to cut and place over or along the run. I use 3x3 foot pieces in the middle of the top and the shade moves as the sun does. Happy little bantams!

Keep in mind you will likely NEVER get the vines off the fence, or the fencing OUT of the vines.

Most fencing will only support the weight for so long before it collapses
I can't speak for the other vines mentioned in this thread because I don't have personal experience with them, but my grapevines are very easy to remove. Every winter we prune them back to the central cane(s). If I'm working alone it takes about 20 minutes to remove everything, about half that time if I have help.

Zone 9b here. I've seen grapes that grow as low as Zone 3.

Back
Top Bottom