Plants around Ducks

2txmedics

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Manvel Texas
Are there any plants that are poisonous to Ducks? I'd like to add plants around the run, but I think I'd like to add some inside the run...any Ideas???

Or how to make it homey for them

I like this toxic plant list, its pretty extensive. Keep in mind that its only toxic if they eat it. I have found that the leave a lot of plants alone. We have a daylily nursery and the ducks go up and down the rows, but they leave the lilies alone. the only thing they bother is the signs... I guess they like the metal. The daylilies are pretty tough too, so they can take some abuse from the ducks if they trample them.

Ducks will ignore the bad ones. Of course, they will devour the non-toxic ones. I hope you are planning on protecting them somehow or they wont stand a chance.

Ducks seem to know what the bad plants are and leave them alone. But from experience I will tell ya they will eat anything in your garden that's not protected. They seem to leave most of my bulb plants alone and stay out of the roses... but other than that... if it's not protected a duck will LOVE to tear it up, even if they dont eat it.
hmm.png

NOt sure I agree that they will ignore the bad plants. I lost two ducks to deadly nightshade poisoning. My ducks had plenty of food, and other plants, bugs, etc, but these two chose to eat the toxic plant. I didn't know they were growing there. The ducks had been in that area for years, but after a very wet summer, they flourished, and we had tons. So, I guess, imo, you can never be sure that they won't touch something they shouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom