Phillisy

Songster
Apr 9, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I swear once you start getting birds, you can’t stop. Chicken math doesn’t just apply to chickens, in my case it’s pretty universal across all poultry and fowl 😂
Because of all the extra time I’ve been spending at home (ha!) I’ve decided now is the time that I would like to add Coturnix quail to my group of weirdos. I have been in touch with a local breeder (who was suggested by Perry Schofield, and has some of his old lines) and will be getting a couple dozen hatching eggs as soon as fertility is up around the end of the month. I’m REALLY hoping I end up with a decent amount of silver!

Once this gross white stuff on the ground is gone, I would like to build a ground level aviary with natural landscaping for them. However, I’m wondering what I should put in there for plants? In you experience, things that are enriching (tall grass, shrubs, etc), are safe for them to eat, as well as some things they won’t eat. I’m planning on putting in a dust bath, but I’m open to suggestions about anything else they seem to enjoy as well (logs, branches, plant pots, types of ground cover, ...?)

What you're including sounds good. I like to give mine nests. I know not everyone's quail will lay in nests but I personally like to encourage it. Even if you just add some straw in there for them, they might nest in there.

Another thing to remember, quail grow fast. Newly hatched chicks will need a brooder that isn't too big, but as they grow, they will need more and more space.

Back
Top Bottom