Plasson Bell Waterer Problem

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hanamat Farms, Jun 7, 2010.

  1. Hanamat Farms

    Hanamat Farms Hatching

    Jun 7, 2010
    Good day folks! We're new to BYC and heard that this is the place to be. I hope so, cause we need help. My husband and I recently purchased a few used Plasson Automatic Bell Waterers from a local poultry house. We bought all of the parts to rebuild the valves and hooked one up this weekend. Everything appears to be correct. Its hooked up to an outside spigot that reduces down to a 1/4" barb. The pressure is reduced by a "Y" valve with a levered ball valve. There is plastic tubing that runs underground for approximately 40 feet to the waterer which is hung inside of the coop. Now, it is our understanding that the bowl will fill and as the chickens drink, the bowl will refill. It just doesn't happen that way at all. We have to manually pull up on the bell to "trip" the valve in order to fill the bowl. When we pull/push up, it seems as though its hard to do; as if its caught on something and we have to gently force it upwards. We've tried to adjust the large plastic adjustment screw in all positions to no avail. We've played with all kinds of different ballast weights in the bottle; doesn't work. We spent a weekend and are just at a point of pure frustration. Can anyone help?
  2. Bear Foot Farm

    Bear Foot Farm Crowing

    Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    We've played with all kinds of different ballast weights in the bottle; doesn't work.

    It's supposed to be completely full.​
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  3. BJnMe

    BJnMe In the Brooder

    Apr 3, 2010
    West Michigan
  4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

    Rafter 7 Paint Horses Songster

    Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Yes, you have to have a pressure regulator for them to work correctly.

  5. fivehensfarm

    fivehensfarm Hatching

    Sep 17, 2012
    Reviving an old thread. Will they work with a 10psi pressure regulator? If not, have you found one that works?
  6. ChickenJerk

    ChickenJerk Songster

    Jan 6, 2012
    Plasson Breeder/Layer drinkers are designed to operate at 8 to 10 psi.

    There are several industrial models or pressure regulators that are designed to do the job. They may also be priced higher than you are willing to pay. The website noted above probably has something that will work, at least for a while.


    This is one that is commonly used in large poultry houses. About $65.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: