Plastic Bandettes to ID birds!

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
Not sure if this belongs here but,

Im thinking of getting some Plastic Bandettes size 9 for my Silkies, to keep track which breeders they came from , etc. They are numbered.

Now, do the numbers rub off easily?
If you used them what did you like or not like?
Do they get brittle easily?

The numbers stay on pretty well until after a year or so. I have hens over 4 years old and theirs are still on, altho unclear what number they are on some of them. But now we know who they are (by personality and appearance) so we don't really need the number anymore. Some did get brittle by about the 2nd year, but like I said some are still on.

I'm trying to recall what size we used on our silkies and for some reason I'm thinking it was 11 because of the heavy leg/foot feathering. Maybe someone else can advise on that.

The only other thing I would mention is to keep an eye on them. I have seen some slip down and wrap onto the foot causing pinching of the skin. I made it a habit to look the chooks over daily (when they are going up to roost is a good time since they are standing there preening). I just bent down and looked over the legs and it becomes very routine to examine everyone daily.

edited - it hit me that you are putting them on silkies, so you'll have to lift them for examination, cuz they are floor dwellers.
smile.png

Jody

Last edited:
I just bought some adult birds with these bands on. Unfortunately I don't know the exact ages of the birds, but the numbers on the bands are quite clear.

Here is a pic of a 9 & 12, compared to a quarter. The 12 are typically used for large fowl like orpington due to their thick legs, however I am pretty sure I used these on silkies as well because of the heavy plumage on the legs.

I apologize for the fuzzy pic, but you can get the idea of the size hopefully and it can help you determine what would be best for your silkies.

100_5778.jpg

edited to correct sizing..

Jody

Last edited:
Quote:
Jody, this is really helpful. I am working on buying these today and didn't have a good idea of sizes.

I need to identify each chick from birth in several different breeds. What sizes do you buy for their different ages. I just used colored plastic ties, and I am not happy as I had to make them pretty small and I am worried about cutting them off safely in a week or two when I need to make them bigger.

I have Marans (feathered shanks) and was thinking I might need a 12.

Also, where is a quick place to get them? I wanted to actually talk to a sales rep.

Thanks.
smile.png

Sorry about this, but I want to correct the sizing. DH tells me the pink ones are size 12 and I did verify that they are actually 12 (not 11). Didn't mean to cause any confusion.

Jennifer - most hatchery places sell them. Stromberg, McMurray, etc.

Jody

Last edited:
What size would you use for brand new chicks (LF), and do you just go up one size at a time, or jump sizes as they grow?

I too, am worried about trying to cut the zip-ties off as they get too small, possibly injuring a bird.

I may get in trouble for saying this, but zip ties work extremely well, at least for larger birds. I'm on the verge of using zip ties on some of my quail.

We make sure the end is cut off then we go a step further and melt the ball with a long lighter. I've yet to have any problems with the ties and they're easier to put on than the bands (plus being cheaper and readily available in our local stores doesn't hurt
smile.png

Once I can find a water-proof, fine-tipped marker that works I'll be able to write some quick information on each one. So far all of my attempts to actually write on the ties have failed miserably.

Back
Top Bottom