plastic doghouse as coop

turtleblossom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Kentucky
I recently decided to combine my two flocks, one bantie and the other large fowl. Everything went well untill I bought a pair of LF Ameraucana at a show. Since then my banties have been geting harassed. I had them in a small plastic barn style doghouse before, but I am concerned that this will not be warm enough for my little biddies this winter. It gets pretty cold at night (30's to 20's), and in January can dip down to the teens. The doghouse has a door and roosts inside, and I wrap a black tarp (to absorb some heat from the sun) around it, and also over the side so their feeder doesn't get wet. Will this be adequate? I have 10 banties- will they keep each other warm enough?

I use an insulated igloo dog house here in Oklahoma for my silkies and they did fine last year. They usally don't even use it but to lay eggs in. They roost on top of it instead. So I think that it would be fine for them.
Chris

I think it would be warm enough, but do check the ventilation. Dog houses usually convert well, but need more ventilation added.

Your climate may be cold for you but not for your chickens. Flakey Chick is right. Your problem, with a small plastic structure like that will be ventilation, not cold. Plastic doesn't breathe. And cool temps like yours with high humidity that may exist in a closed plastic coop will be dangerous for your birds.

Wayne

I think there will be enough ventilation in the doghouse because there is a vent in the back, and the door is just a piece of clear plastic with a slit running down the middle. It hangs out a little way from the house, so there is plenty of air flow.

Your doghouse (chicken coop) sounds just like the one I bought. There is a vent in the back and I covered part of the door in the front with a heavy rubber doormat. I am worried about winter too and hope they are warm enough. I only have the two chickens and plan on loading it up with straw and maybe putting straw around the outside for insulation. I hope our chickens stay warm.

Back
Top Bottom