Plastic Strips in coop door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ohhhdear, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Has anyone tried installing heavy overlapping vinyl/plastic strips in the coop's door opening? I've seen these used to keep the cold out (or in) big commercial freezers, or in bay doors for loading docks. You just push through the plastic strips to get in or out. Would chickens have problems learning to get in or out of their coop through the strips?
    This would be in addition to the normal wood latching door for the coop. I was thinking about helping keep the heat in the coop during the winter, but make it easy for the girls to enter and exit once the wooden door had been opened.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    [​IMG] I think it would work. In fact I think I remember reading on here about someone who did that. Try it and let us know!

3. MistyValley

MistyValley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Patterson MO
    I had some webbing material here, like the old lawn chairs, I would add a 4 inch wide strip to each side of the door and leave for a few days then add again until the opening was covered. Never had much trouble doing it that way. I don't know if the heavy duty strips like on freezer door would be something they could push through. Hope this helps.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    If the strips are narrow it works fine but more heat goes out and more wind gets in. I did it last year and it did help. I used a clear material plastic that I cut with an exacto knife. I left the top intact and screwed it with washers and sheetrock screws to hold it in place. The hens did not like it at first but soon learned to use it. Some ran through it and others acted like they were going to be braving a storm outside with trepedation. [​IMG] They were so funny. Gloria Jean

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  6. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I was thinking about overlapping the strips to hold in the heat. I researched buying a roll of the strip material online, but it costs a LOT! You can buy a pre-made 7' strip door on eBay for about $150, but I only need about 15' of scrap strips.
    Maybe a company that makes and sells the doors would be willing to sell some scrap material!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Why couldn't you use one of those heavy duty clear vinyl shower curtain liners (not the cheaper thin ones)? I have had the same ones in my showers for 10 years and they are still strong.

You could cut them into strips. I saw some recently for about $6.

8. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    U can buy vinyl by the yard at an upholstery shop.

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  10. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I love the idea... post a pic when you are done;

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by