Plastic Tub brooder build & I have some questions

ddmiddle7

Songster
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Hey guys, I need some of your BYC wisdom...I am setting up my plastic tub brooder and wanted to know if this will be good to keep the 5 chickies in unitl I can move them to their coop at 6-8weeks old. They are standard size chick; 2 Ameraucanas, 2 Plymoth Barred Rocks, and one Black Sex-Link.

Ok here is what I am going to be using:
106Qt /100L plastic tub. It is 33 3/4 in Long X 19 3/8 in Deep X 13 3/8 in Tall

I am going to cut out the middle of the lid and install 1/4in Hardware cloth into by punching holes all around the edge and securing it with zip ties (I will be using washers on the inside and outside of the lid to insure the zip ties don't rip the plastic lid). I bought a reflector lamp and an inside/outside thermometer to monitor the temps inside. I don't want to use a 250watt red bulb because I believe it will be too much heat for just the five little ladies. Does anyone know where I can find a red flood light that is like 150watts?

Any thoughts or suggestions/ideas will be helpful...this is my first time so I want to make sure they are going to be happy and comfortable.

Thanks,
Dereck

You can use a lower watt incandescent bulb or put a heat lamp on a dimmer. I've done both. I'm currently using a 60 watt bulb at it keeps the warm side of my brooder at 95 in a 70 degree room. I don't think that size tub will work for very long. My chicks are only 2 weeks old and are already in a 36" dog crate. But you can always buy a bigger tub later. Lowes has a nice 50 gallon tub for $20. And Home Depot has lamp dimmers for $10.

Maybe i will take it back then before i cut it and just get the 50 gallon tub... see this is why I didn't start it yet. I had a feeling it would be too small. I don't want to have to build more than one brooder since this is the only group of chicks I will be getting anytime soon. I know, I know...everyone says that when they get chickens but I don't have a choice my landlord will only allow me to get 5...so i know I won't be getting anymore. If i get a 50 gallon tub I shouldn't have to build another one right? This should last them until I can put them outside right? I have looked at Walmart, Meijer, Lowes, and Home Depot for a red bulb that is lower than 250watts but the only one I can find is a party bulb that is 25 watts. I know that is not strong enough. I don't want to use a white bulb if I don't have to, since I have read that it can cause some flighty chicks... I want them to be able to experience a night/day pattern.

Thanks again! You guys rock!
thumbsup.gif

Just make sure your light is high enough so they don't get fried. I use the plastic tubs for like three weeks and they are great. After 3 weeks I put em in something bigger cause they just get to big.

Is this sorta what your doing?? It is a 45 Gal. Tote.
55860_dsc01666.jpg

55860_dsc01662.jpg

55860_dsc01664.jpg

It works out really well. Right now I am using a 75 Watt. bulb for chicks about 1 week to 3 weeks.

Last edited:
my chicks are two weeks old

my current brooder box is almost exactly the size of the one you are thinking of

they are getting crowded in there

already, I put two 1 x 4's on top of that brooder box, at the ends, for perches, then another transparent plastic bin upside down on top as a "lid" so they cannot jump/flap completely out

(I'm using an under-desk ceramic heater panel as the heat source --- it works GREAT --- house stays around 50-55 -- panel is 100* when you lay hand against it -- chicks sit against it for five minutes or so, then go wandering -- a Brinsea EcoGlow would work even better but I already had one of these ceramic panels for my basement office desk)

they are flying from one "perch" to the other now, and are chest bumping and fanning wings at each other

as soon as I get some help carting it upstairs, I will be putting them into an oval horse trough which is something like 4 feet by 2-1/2

our last frost date isn't until May 1 --- by that time they can go outside to the coop I am in process of building

Quote:
How long could I keep five chicks in the 45 gallon tub? I am looking for a brooder that I can build and keep them in until they are ready to go outside. I have limited funds that I want keep concentrated on the coop.

Alright so I took back the tote and got a new one this one is fifty gallons...it's huge. I hope out works cause I've already started making the brooder last night.

Back
Top Bottom