Plastic vs Metal

We mostly use plastic for water and feed, but also have a wooden feeder. The wooden feeder is a treadle style for dry feed only. We use plastic for the rest because the fermented feed we use is slightly acidic and most metal feeders are aluminum or galvanized steel, both of which will leach due to the acid. Same goes for the waterer, sometimes we put lactic acid probiotics in the water, plastic is more inert, not to mention inexpensive.

Metal Feeder- last a long time and boil-able. It's the easist to sanitize

PVC closed nipple water system.- Metal and water don't mix. It equals rust. I use chicken nipples because they improve the health of the birds dramatically compared to open systems. The birds can't poop in the water and this reduces disease.

I use a metal or wood trough style feeder and plastic, porcelain or nipple bucket for waterers at any given time. Plastic waterer in the winter as I use a plastic heated dog dish up on a pedestal, which keeps it from getting bedding or poop in it. In the summer I use a communal, old porcelain wash pan for dogs and chickens alike, which is also up on a pedestal. For chicks or rooster pens, I'll use nipple buckets.

my LF cochin hens have a 2qt black rubber pan right now for winter as it is super easy to get ice out when its froze and dont know if the 1gal plastic waterer i was using during summer and fall could stand the cold and not crack. for a feeder they just have a 3 pound plastic hanging feeder....when i get my ducks and they are outside i'll get a bigger waterer that hopefully the ducks dont makes to much of a mess with and a bigger feeder

the banties in the basment have a plastic 1gal waterer and a nearly 2ft trough style galvinized steel feeder

all the quail have plastic quart waterers and these little round feeders that have 8 holes for them to eat from...look like little spaceships

Metal Feeder- last a long time and boil-able. It's the easist to sanitize

PVC closed nipple water system.- Metal and water don't mix. It equals rust. I use chicken nipples because they improve the health of the birds dramatically compared to open systems. The birds can't poop in the water and this reduces disease.

I have this setup with horizontal nipples. They are very sanitary and virtually maintenance free.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221370570213?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

How do you guys keep the nipple waterers from freezing in the winter?

I use both but if I had to choose my favourite, it would be plastic.

I love my metal stuff, don't get me wrong. My plastic stuff can be taken apart, where as my metal ones can't, and thus I can soak them in a cleansing solution and clean places I can't on my metal ones. Also, for piping water/food PVC is cheaper and easier to cut.

Other than that, I do love metal. It's a bit more durable and can be scrubbed harder, while plastic is a touch more delicate and can crack. For me, cleanliness wins out over my love for durability.

Back
Top Bottom