Plastic vs Metal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickencoop789, Feb 7, 2014.

1. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    What kind of feeders/waterers do you like and why?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    We mostly use plastic for water and feed, but also have a wooden feeder. The wooden feeder is a treadle style for dry feed only. We use plastic for the rest because the fermented feed we use is slightly acidic and most metal feeders are aluminum or galvanized steel, both of which will leach due to the acid. Same goes for the waterer, sometimes we put lactic acid probiotics in the water, plastic is more inert, not to mention inexpensive.

3. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Metal Feeder- last a long time and boil-able. It's the easist to sanitize

PVC closed nipple water system.- Metal and water don't mix. It equals rust. I use chicken nipples because they improve the health of the birds dramatically compared to open systems. The birds can't poop in the water and this reduces disease.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I use a metal or wood trough style feeder and plastic, porcelain or nipple bucket for waterers at any given time. Plastic waterer in the winter as I use a plastic heated dog dish up on a pedestal, which keeps it from getting bedding or poop in it. In the summer I use a communal, old porcelain wash pan for dogs and chickens alike, which is also up on a pedestal. For chicks or rooster pens, I'll use nipple buckets.

5. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    my LF cochin hens have a 2qt black rubber pan right now for winter as it is super easy to get ice out when its froze and dont know if the 1gal plastic waterer i was using during summer and fall could stand the cold and not crack. for a feeder they just have a 3 pound plastic hanging feeder....when i get my ducks and they are outside i'll get a bigger waterer that hopefully the ducks dont makes to much of a mess with and a bigger feeder

the banties in the basment have a plastic 1gal waterer and a nearly 2ft trough style galvinized steel feeder

all the quail have plastic quart waterers and these little round feeders that have 8 holes for them to eat from...look like little spaceships

6. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey

How do you guys keep the nipple waterers from freezing in the winter?

7. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Work in progress but thinking of using a heated bucket. The nipples near the heater.

8. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    I use both but if I had to choose my favourite, it would be plastic.

I love my metal stuff, don't get me wrong. My plastic stuff can be taken apart, where as my metal ones can't, and thus I can soak them in a cleansing solution and clean places I can't on my metal ones. Also, for piping water/food PVC is cheaper and easier to cut.

Other than that, I do love metal. It's a bit more durable and can be scrubbed harder, while plastic is a touch more delicate and can crack. For me, cleanliness wins out over my love for durability.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by