Platform water heaters

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cigar Joe, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Cigar Joe

Cigar Joe New Egg

Jan 11, 2011
    I cannot get these to last very long? Is there a better way to keep your fountains from freezing? I've tried a couple different brands but within a month or two the water starts to freeze and I end up throwing them away. Seems to be my biggest challenge with my ladies is giving them fresh water in the winter.

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I've never tryed water heaters before, I just have to break ice every morning and haul water to my chickens. [​IMG]
    Somewhere on here someone had made a water heater! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Copper Kettle Farm

Copper Kettle Farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    That's my question, exactly! I was in TSC yesterday going 'round and 'round the store, picking up hooks, chains, and all sorts of things to hang the founts from the ceiling of my coops. I thought maybe, just maybe by bringing the founts inside it would prevent them from freezing. I finally reasoned the chickens would tip them, and spill water everywhere. So I moved on and went back to the electric water heater bases. As I stood contemplating buying a few water heater bases, I finally asked a gentlemen if he had better luck with them, because I have never had. He said didn't and now uses self-adhesive insulating pipe wrap and wraps it completely around the waterer fountain. He further described his method and I'm going to try on one fountain. I'm tired of hauling 6 heavy, five gallon founts every morning and night into the basement.
    I'll keep you posted.

4. Cigar Joe

Cigar Joe New Egg

Jan 11, 2011
    well I investigated some more with mine and I found the glue underneath that holds the heating pad onto the metal base was not working. When I set the base right side up for the chickens, the heating pad was hanging down towards the floor not touching the metal, causing my drinkers to freeze. I used some heavy duty super glue to put it back on and its working fine now. I wonder if I threw away my last two defective heated bases by mistake? Maybe they just needed to be re-glued.

5. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    I had the same type no warranty and threw mine away because I didn't know what kind of adhesive to use. My wiring also was defective and the pad actually seemed to overheat so I decided that it didn't seem like the best idea to have in a coop with wood shavings. I think they are disposable but at over $40 a piece I can't believe they are not made better. Any one have better luck than with the TSC metal heaters? I am actually thinking of trying the electric pet bowl it is the same price and looks alot sturdier.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Build a box with a light bulb in it to set the waterers on

It's cheap, it's easy, and it works

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by