Play fight?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shelly Chip, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Shelly Chip

Shelly Chip Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    I have two 2 1/2 week old silver laced polish chicks. They act like they are play fighting a lot. They jump at each other and chase each other around. Is this normal? I have never had chickens before.

2. Sphynxii

Sphynxii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    If their both roosters yes my lot run up and chest bum each other and as they get older they start pulling at the feathers on the backs of each others necks, i doubt they will seriously hurt each other. :)

3. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    Hens will do that too, not just boys. They're just practicing how to work out the pecking order for when they're older, it's nothing to worry about.

4. Sphynxii

Sphynxii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    I never knew hens did it...Now i do thankyou!

5. Shelly Chip

Aug 4, 2013
    Thanks for the info. They seem to be play fighting all the time.. Hope they are not two roos!

6. Bulletproof Roo

Bulletproof Roo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2013
    North Central Florida
    I have two one-week-old chicks and they've been doing exactly that for a few days now. Even jump up and hurl their feet at each other like roosters fighting. I think they're just playing, though, since the next second they're happily standing right next to each other eating or whatever.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  7. rottnwarrior

rottnwarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    Imagine a couple kids together. They need to play. If they have heat on one side and it's cool on the other side and they have food and water somewhere in between they will live. If they have a reason to goof around in between, they will. They are kids. Throw a grasshopper in with them and sit back and watch if you want a good time.

8. Shelly Chip

Aug 4, 2013
    Ok, it is good to know that this behavior is normal. I have bought them crickets and wax worms before...they went nuts! I was shocked at how many crickets they ate in one sitting....pretty much all the crickets and wax worms. And I had about 30 crickets in there with 3 chicks...and a bunch of wax worms too! Gone in no time.

9. rottnwarrior

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    I get so much enjoyment out of the demise of a grasshopper, it seems I should pay money for it! Also yellow squash is great too. I cut it into little fingers and let the youngsters go nuts. They love to roll hot dog chunks around as well.

10. rottnwarrior

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    Corn, birdseed and other stuff in there for them to hunt and dig for helps keep them from getting bored too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by