1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Play radio to keep hawks away?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jbkinor, Jul 16, 2007.

1. jbkinor

jbkinor Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2007
    Western Oregon
    I read somewhere on here about playing a radio in your chicken area as a deterent for hawks because they don't like human voices. Does this work?

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    it depends on wat music you play [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well.....so far....yup, I would say it works. I have a radio in our coop...and so far, no hawk attacks. (knock on wood) Also, my grand dad told me many years ago....if you want those hens to lay better, put on some country music. Of course, I thought at the time......feeble old man.....well. Last year, my RIR decided they were "tired" of laying...and had almost quit completely. So, out goes the radio with country music. NOTHING else changed in there...ie diet, bedding....nothing...and guess what. My ladies started laying again, and out of 11 hens...we get 8 to 10 eggs a day! Not bad. Maybe in the evenings...when we THINK they are going to roost....they are haveing a little chicken dance party...to help "move the eggs down" LOL

4. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    There was someone on the other forum with a big racoon problem that he said was solved by putting a radio in the coop. Sounds good to me. [​IMG]

5. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    if you play rap music you will be able to keep just about everything away including people i would guess...major problem would be the suicide rate in your chickens! Mind you i would also worry about that with country western music also LOL

6. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    My girls like Sinatra, especially his version of "Ol' MacDonald." (see below)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Aran! Not country and western. It is just country! Country and Western would be Porter Wagoner. Country is George Strait! King George crooning will increase egg production!

8. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    whatever you say mate heheheh give me stevie ray vaughn, eric johnson or steve vai any day!

9. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    wow im gonna try that! would it keep cats away? my chickens just roam around my yard and my freakin neighbor has 8 cats. they all come into my yard sometimes, my rooster used to keep em out but i had to give him away

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Now you're speaking my language![​IMG]

My rooster loves Rock music, guess I should expect that from a barred rock.[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by