Play shed convert to a coop? (Pics)

IIRC, your climate is very hot in the summer but also gets significant winter snow, right?

In the summer the more open areas you can have the better. Heat is much more of a problem for chickens than cold is.

In the winter you'll still need ventilation to keep the coop dry and prevent frostbite, but without any breezes blowing on the roost.
You are right. I talked with a neighbor yesterday, and he said we don’t need a heater in the winter. Just good ventilation.

You are right. I talked with a neighbor yesterday, and he said we don’t need a heater in the winter. Just good ventilation.

If you browse through threads from a month or so ago when that terrible cold snap hit you'll find people bringing their chickens through below-zero temperatures just fine with adequate ventilation and not supplemental heat. :)

With the sun hitting it make sure to check temps in the afternoon too see if it is venting out enough.
Also, is that a HOA area? Houses seem very close together so you might want to make sure you can have the chickens... if you already have not done that. Some places don't allow or you need a permit.
My town is Under 7, so I will get 5 :)

With the sun hitting it make sure to check temps in the afternoon too see if it is venting out enough.
Also, is that a HOA area? Houses seem very close together so you might want to make sure you can have the chickens... if you already have not done that. Some places don't allow or you need a permit.
My town is Under 7, so I will get 5 :)
No HOA. Yea city ordinance says under 10, I am getting 4/5 I already applied for a permit. Hearing is next week ;)

Back
Top Bottom