Playhouse coop

MojoWorkin

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 3, 2008
Upstate NY
Hi! There is a person who sells coop plans on ebay called "playhouse coops". I see that some of you have a coop with this design. It is cute. :)

Here are some links to the coop I'm talking about:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/coops/playhouse-coop.html

I'm thinking I'd like to get 3 full size orpington hens. Would that style of coop be too small for them? The coop + run looks like a good size, but the actual inside part seems small? Or would it be ok? Maybe this coop is better for bantams? If so, where can I find orpington bantams?

Also, I live in Upstate NY. Would I need to insulate it? Looks like it might be a little small inside to fit insulation?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Are you going to let them out during the day? If not I might make the run a bit bigger or fence around the coop with a play yard for them and lock them up at night.

You shouldn't need to insulate if you put a heat lamp in the coop.

Just get you a thermometer and hang it on the wall so you can see what is going on. I like the digital ones from lowes that tracks the high's and the low's that way you can check it in the morning and see how cold it got at night.

Also you can plant some evergreens around it to help block the wind and kind of shelter the coop also.

Good Luck

Nick

Hi! Thanks. I'm not planning to put a heatlamp in it. Want something that can keep them sheltered and warm enought without electricity. Planting evergreens is a good strategy.

Maybe I will also build some kind of lighter, smaller "chicken tractor" type of thing to let them scratch and peck in different areas, rotate them around? But I prob wouldn't do this in winter.

Last edited:
We purchased the playhouse plans and used them to build the 8x8 coop. The plans gave us a good start and we ended up with a coop that we love. I beefed up the lumber to 2x which took a little calculating. Here in N.C. I have not seen the lumber he refers to in the plans. After getting started I kinda changed things as needed. PM me and I will be happy to share more details. The seller of the plans is very nice.

Quote:
Welcome to BYC!

The 2 foot by 4 foot size of the coop seems like it might work for bantams or just 2 standards. You've only got 8 square feet and those are outside measurements at that. And, 3 chickens just seems like a minimum to me so that they are happy. With banties, you probably could go to as many as 5.

You could partially enclose the area below the coop, inside the pen. That would provide some additional shelter thru the Winter days and may allow you to keep the food and water outside the coop.

Both Cackle and Ideal hatcheries have Buff Orpington banties.

My coop is fully insulated or, at least, one half of it is. It will still freeze in there when outdoor temperatures get down about 10. Personally, I feel that it's a good thing not to go too much below freezing for the birds' comfort and egg production.

Steve

You could consider the 8x8 which is really 8 feet by about 7.5 feet. This gives you a good sized run including the space under the coop. We keep our waterer under there. You can always frame in part of the actual coop as a storage closet for food and tools. We currently have 6 full size chickens that free range all day and they love their home.'
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hi Farmer Brown, thanks for the info. I see on ebay that they offer plans for the larger coop but I haven't seen pictures of it. I wonder if you get a chance if you would be willing to post pics of your coop? I see a small one as your avatar but it's hard to get a good idea from that.

Back
Top Bottom