Playhouse to Coop

amberkempter

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2021
Nebraska
Good morning! We are purchasing a wooden playhouse off of Craigslist to use as a base for our coop. We have 4 chickens and think this will be the best starting point. We plan on building a run and enclosure around the playhouse and know that we need to do some additions to the house to make it more secure for the chickens. Does anyone have recommendations based on these photos? We live in Nebraska, so we definitely have some cold/snowy winters and just want to make sure we have the best environment for our flock! Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 00d0d_7tO0hg8um5Oz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    00d0d_7tO0hg8um5Oz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 36
  • 00l0l_bJN376s3Qmhz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    00l0l_bJN376s3Qmhz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 13
  • 00P0P_judiM6CxWmtz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    00P0P_judiM6CxWmtz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 13
What are the dimensions? In feet...The little windows are darling, cover them in hardware cloth and keep them functional for ventilation purposes. Also maybe consider making the door half hardware cloth but with a cover you can connect during the cold months and leave off during the warm months. Up in the top ridge peak at the roof cut sections on both sides and secure with hardware cloth. You also may want to extend the eves for more protection against blowing rain and snow. These are the things that come to mind, I'm sure others will chime in soon.

What are the dimensions? In feet...The little windows are darling, cover them in hardware cloth and keep them functional for ventilation purposes. Also maybe consider making the door half hardware cloth but with a cover you can connect during the cold months and leave off during the warm months. Up in the top ridge peak at the roof cut sections on both sides and secure with hardware cloth. You also may want to extend the eves for more protection against blowing rain and snow. These are the things that come to mind, I'm sure others will chime in soon.
If I remember right, it was 6X4ish and about 6 feet tall. I love the idea of keeping the windows functional, especially since it gets so hot here in the summer!

I'll just give basic guidelines for standard size birds.These are for each bird. I'll not really make recommendations as your winter is very different from mine.

4 sf in the coop
10 sf in the run
1/4-1/3 of a nest box. Minimum of two for choice
1 linear foot of roost
1 sf of 24/7/365 ventilation. Above their heads when roosting

Also, your state thread should be of help for you. Found HERE

See if you can open up the very top peak somehow for ventilation. That would be an ideal spot. Even better, if you have some available lumber, make a monitor roof. I don't have a link to show you, but @3KillerBs does.

Can you enclose the porch to make more floor space?

I can see so many cute possibilities with this. Nice score!

Back
Top Bottom