Playing music for incubating eggs

FoodFreedomNow

Free Ranging
7 Years
Aug 11, 2016
Everywhere, all at once
I like to play a selection of classical pieces (Mozart, Dvořák, Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, etc.) for the eggs during incubation. I've read that, in experiments, classical music resulted in the best hatch rates, while metal had an adverse effect. 🤔

Do you play music for your incubating eggs and if so, what type? Do you think it makes a difference?

Were I to do this...

Days 1-5
Mozart; Bach harpsichord pieces; Beethoven, but only Symphonies 1, 2, or 8 (#8 on day 5, not before!)

Days 6-10
Vivaldi Four Seasons (turning down the volume on the Winter Concerto, of course); Bach Brandenburg Concerti; Beethoven Symphony #7 on low volume, re play #8.

Days 11-15
Beethoven Symphony #6 and several piano sonatas; Brahms Symphony #2; selections from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, especially Waltz of the Snowflakes; Bach Organ music (Tocatta and Fugue in d minor must be on low volume!).

Day 16-20
Brahms Symphony #1; Dvorak New World Symphony; Bloch Concerto Grosso for Strings with Piano Obbligato, IF the eggs seem ready for it, but no earlier than Day 19.

Day 21
Beethoven's #9 Symphony, all day long. Whenever another chick hatches, play the 4th movement Chorale section and sing along.

Were I to do this...

Days 1-5
Mozart; Bach harpsichord pieces; Beethoven, but only Symphonies 1, 2, or 8 (#8 on day 5, not before!)

Days 6-10
Vivaldi Four Seasons (turning down the volume on the Winter Concerto, of course); Bach Brandenburg Concerti; Beethoven Symphony #7 on low volume, re play #8.

Days 11-15
Beethoven Symphony #6 and several piano sonatas; Brahms Symphony #2; selections from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, especially Waltz of the Snowflakes; Bach Organ music (Tocatta and Fugue in d minor must be on low volume!).

Day 16-20
Brahms Symphony #1; Dvorak New World Symphony; Bloch Concerto Grosso for Strings with Piano Obbligato, IF the eggs seem ready for it, but no earlier than Day 19.

Day 21
Beethoven's #9 Symphony, all day long. Whenever another chick hatches, play the 4th movement Chorale section and sing along.
I love this so much!

You might find this article about "Perinatal Acoustic Communication in Birds" interesting. I found it when researching whether there was any point in talking to my Muscovy eggs as they incubated (and my conclusion was that there isn't as Muscovy especially bond with their mother after hatch). https://openornithologyjournal.com/contents/volumes/V3/TOOENIJ-3-141/TOOENIJ-3-141.pdf

Here is an extract (E stands for Embryonic day, ie. day of incubation):

In domestic chickens (Gallus gallus L. f. domestica) cochlear ganglion neurons exhibited a profound insensitivity to sound from E 12 to E 16. In this prehearing period the cochlea functions as a signal generator (spontaneous activities), not as a sensor. In the following period (E 16-E 19) the cochlea begins to detect and encode sound, which is regarded as the beginning of hearing.

I would be cautious of playing music too loudly in the days leading up to and including hatch day as it is essential for the synchronisation of the hatch for the chicks to be able to hear each other.

I like to play a selection of classical pieces (Mozart, Dvořák, Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, etc.) for the eggs during incubation. I've read that, in experiments, classical music resulted in the best hatch rates, while metal had an adverse effect. 🤔

Do you play music for your incubating eggs and if so, what type? Do you think it makes a difference?
Aural stimulation makes most sense Day 14 and following, if i remember right, when their nervous system gas developed enough to appreciate and respond to it.

When my first chick was having trouble hatching I played chick chirping sounds to encourage her and It helped a lot! Definitely recommend playing music or chicks chirping 👍

Back
Top Bottom