Playing with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jarhead, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    1.) How often do you interact with your chicks?
    2.) How long do you hold and cuddle each individual chick?
    3.) Do you play with each chick every "session"?
    4.) Do you favor 1 or more chicks over the others?

My answers:
    1.) about 4 to 5 times a day
    2.) about 1 to 3 minutes each
    3.) yes
    4.) yes - an EE I call arrowhead (she has an arrow like mark on her head), she runs onto my hand as soon as I open the brooder, and she will cuddle and rub on me and close her eyes when I scratch her head, she has been that way since day 1.

Just wondering if we are in line with everyone else. Is this enough human contact to ensure they will be people friendly and not very flighty later in life?

Thanks

2. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    ive been wondering the same thing. im going to keep comming back to this post to look! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Am I the only one who plays with chicks? ;[​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:1. every day, several times
    2. i don't, there are 40 of them!
    3. repeat question
    4. yes, a little pastel chipmunk; i have no idea what breed...ordered a rainbow mix

you cannot ensure they will be people friendly or non-flighty. some are, some they ain't![​IMG]

5. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

We hold our babies everyday (who can resist???)

The sessions are as long as we can stand....sometimes as time allows...or maybe during a movie (the kids will hold them)

We DO favor Cher over the others, for now....I hate to play favorites, but everyone gets held, cuddled, and loved.....no one is left behind...

6. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    We play with our chickens twice a day, minimum. We have 7, so yes, we make sure we spend a few minutes with each one. Our "fave" is Hank our BO little roo. Next would be his sis, Sunny.

We go out every chance we get to visit with them.

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Some like to play, some don't! They get handled a couple of times a day and I don't manage to handle them all because some just run! I won't pursue!

I wish I had one that seemed to want to be petted and played with! The one I had that was really responsive and seemed to like a cuddle became a teenage roo and all mommy time was over!

(Aw Mom don't kiss me in front of the girls!!)

8. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    I play with mine at least twice a day during the week and sit in their coop several times a day over the weekend.

Since all of my babies are in the coop, I pick them up as they come to me. I don't force myself on them.

I have an little meanie called coon because he has markings of a coon around it's eyes and nips at me if I try to pickup a chick by him. If it is a he, I keep telling "it" he is not long for the crock pot! Maybe I'll name it Crock Pot.

My husband says to stop giving them names or I won't be to eat them when it comes time to culling... but this little bugger doesn't like to be handled and doesn't want everyone else handled either.

I have two favorites... Vivina & Camella (Opr Buff hens). They are very interested in anything I am doing and love to help me clean their shavings... I call them my Nosey Rosies little helpers.

All of my girls like for folks to sit in their coop, but they don't come to anyone unless they have treats, but are still stand-offish. They like watching us as much as we like watching them and I'm ok with that ... [​IMG]

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    My chicks are getting big... 8 weeks old, plus a 30 week old who's laying. I still play with them all several times a day. The youngin's chase me and my daughter around the yard for no reason at all... just like follow the leader mostly. I love my oldest she so loves to be petted. However, I still favor the little one we're pretty sure is a roo. He just pushes his head into may hand to pet him and will cuddle in my lap and fall asleep.

Its like having 2 legged puppies!!!! [​IMG]

10. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    1.) How often do you interact with your chicks? Daily.
    When they were younger they were in the living room. Well they were in the living room until they were 7 weeks old:p Now they are in the coop and we are out there a lot just hanging with them. In and out of the run

2.) How long do you hold and cuddle each individual chick? I have 6. Out of those 6 only 2 were really big on wanting to be held and snuggled with. Now only one of those two is still big onto the holding thing.

3.) Do you play with each chick every "session"? No. I didnt see the point on pressing the issue with the ones that very obviously were terrified of being picked up.

4.) Do you favor 1 or more chicks over the others?
    yes. I do. Audrey is my girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by