please advise! hatchling in trouble!

homegrownchix

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Emergency! I found a newly hatched chick in the middle of the coop this morning, rejected by the brooding mama and looking close to death. I picked him up, he is responding slightly to touch and warmth. I put him under a heat lamp inside. Is there anything else i can/should do? Jea been under the lamp for 10 minitws and has already started peeping. i posted a pic of him..

Try to keep it at 99.9 degrees in the box. You can boil an egg, smash it up well and see if it will eat. When I hatch out chicks, their 1st meal is boiled, smashed eggs. You will need a water receptacle also within 24hrs. I hope it perks up.

She is trying to hold her head up but gets tired almost immediaty. She has pulled her legs underneath her now, though

How is she doing now? Being she is so tiny and young, she has to havw fluids and food often. Has she consumed any today?
I just a few days ago lost my first hatched Duckling. He was very weak like this also. He was able to enjoy life for a short 3 days.
I had a major concern with him also. He was unable to hold himself up. Weak. His head seemed to heavy to hold up and over turned alot and was unable to turn right side up on his own.
He gained strength daily and was up and on the move in 3 days full of life and woke up thw next morning fighting for life. Took a turn for the worst

I hope this is not the case for your baby chick.
I send your little chick well wishes and hope she recovers and gains strength soon.

Make up some sugar water and try giving it to the chick as a short term energy booster

Back
Top Bottom