Please an explanation about virus spreading

i cant disinfect all the ground :gig do you agree with this?
Mostly, I do agree. I think the information given on the other thread about leaving it clear once your current birds are gone for a period of time can be helpful. Don't add more before they pass if you wanna get rid of whatever it was completely for sure. And don't bring home any sneezing birds even for quarantine. Was it you that's in Italy? Do y'all have hatcheries you can get birds from?

Also don't do things to invite other wild birds or animals to your place, extra. They still come here for all the flowers, bugs, and other natural goodies around here. But no feeders filled with nuts and seeds.

Also removing waste and not having bare ground can go a long ways towards keeping bacterial and parasitic loads in check.

Sometimes a sneeze is just a sneeze like during dirt bathing. Your most recent loss would surprise me if it wasn't age related in large part at 6 years old, she had a good run for a high production breed. :)

I would read some about respiratory diseases, such as infectious bronchitis which causes sneezing and some congestion, and leaves chickens carriers for up to a year after symptom go away in about a month. Then there is mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG, CRD,) infectious croyza, , and ILT which leave them and the rest of the remaining flock carriers for life. This is the reason it is best to let the chickens in the flock die off, and once all are gone and none can infect a new chicken, get new healthy chicks. Testing a chicken or gettin a necropsy when losing one, with symptoms is the best way to diagnose which disease you are seeing. This article lists those respiratory diseases and give the symptoms for each:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

As for broody breeds, IMO bantam Cochins are nearly as reliable broody birds as silkies.
I know of a farm that rather than using incubators keeps an entire building of bantam Cochins to hatch all of their primary breed for their chick sales.

I imagine it is fairly cold, depending on what part of Italy you are in. Do you tend to close up the coop to protect from cold this time of year?
I'm a believer that respiratory diseases can be traced directly to diminished ventilation. Big fresh air, 24/7 is critical for health. As important as nutrition and clean water are, oxygen is even more important for these tiny respiratory systems.

Last edited:
Really thank you so much for replying and spending time searching the link! :hugs

No, at the moment no one bird shows nothing!
I'm going to stop thinking at the waterer, finally:gigim moving forward this cleaning it and thinking it is like scratching and eating on the ground, and i cant disinfect all the ground :gig do you agree with this? ;)

Last edited:
All chickens carry disease and many are infected with disease that should kill them but they are immune until stress brings out the disease. Chickens and all Chickens carry about 100 diseases.
It's a fact and having them is a constant concern about transfer when adding new birds.
Wild birds can carry disease over to your flock from miles away..

I would read some about respiratory diseases, such as infectious bronchitis which causes sneezing and some congestion, and leaves chickens carriers for up to a year after symptom go away in about a month. Then there is mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG, CRD,) infectious croyza, , and ILT which leave them and the rest of the remaining flock carriers for life. This is the reason it is best to let the chickens in the flock die off, and once all are gone and none can infect a new chicken, get new healthy chicks. Testing a chicken or gettin a necropsy when losing one, with symptoms is the best way to diagnose which disease you are seeing. This article lists those respiratory diseases and give the symptoms for each:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks :) i read all the article and i didn't find that disease! No facial swelling, no mucus from the mouth, no swollen joints, no blood in poops....no extremely violet comb, only a bit.....i wasn't searching the exact symtomps...but i didn't find any plausible disease :(

I imagine it is fairly cold, depending on what part of Italy you are in. Do you tend to close up the coop to protect from cold this time of year?
I'm a believer that respiratory diseases can be traced directly to diminished ventilation. Big fresh air, 24/7 is critical for health. As important as nutrition and clean water are, oxygen is even more important for these tiny respiratory systems.

Interesting!
So, i'm in centre of italy, so it isn't so much cold. more rainy that cold.
I have a coop (open all day) and a canopy. thay just decide where to stay...
what fo you mean for sufficient ventilation? i'd like to know if my coop is the best under this point of view!

All chickens carry disease and many are infected with disease that should kill them but they are immune until stress brings out the disease. Chickens and all Chickens carry about 100 diseases.
It's a fact and having them is a constant concern about transfer when adding new birds.
Wild birds can carry disease over to your flock from miles away..

Yes...i knew....i wanted to bring home this last chicks to close my coop forever! :he:D

Did d you have testing done to know what virus or disease you are dealing with?

ACV will not cure nor prevent any respiratory disease or illness.

no....i'll do it if it will come out...

i'll answer again to all the others as soon as possible! sorry i have little little time in these days!
however thank you so much!!!!!!
:wee
:wee:wee:wee

Thank you:):):)
Could it be unrecommandable to make born some pullets? I bought my silkie just to hatch some eggs! :barnie:rant:gig
Im not giving food to Wild birds and the coop has a fence on the roof!
Yes, i was worrying because i have another 6yy old chicken but Im definetly keeping calm:lau

:wee:weethanks!!!!!!

I bred Silkies for a few years. Quite honestly they are excessively broody but NOT the the best broody's ever. My large fowl ladies brood circles around the Silkies, fend of predators better, raise more chicks, etc. Broody Silkies can be more effort than they are worth, and that's why I don't keep them anymore personally. One reason I like to use an incubator (aside from power outages) is because *most* broody's raise their chicks to avoid people so they are often less friendly. Broody's are cranky beehive's also. One plus of incubators, bought new they don't spread anything to your flock. But broody hens do have their pluses of course. Seeing a chick mum and family is quite lovely! :love

I know silkies aren't the best in broodying! i planned to buy another local italian breed, but at the hatchery they said " uhmmmm we haven't this breed but we have a silkie".....she was so cute so i kept her anyway :gig

With birds that age, plus Silkies who will be broody, not laying, and raising chicks int he future... I would switch away from "layer" feed and use an unmedicated "starter" or a flock raiser type feed IF you have them available... with the added calcium source on the side for active layers. Those not in lay do not need the added calcium of layer and it could lead to kidney issues including one type of gout, possible failure, and even sudden death... though most often in those that are genetically predisposed somehow. In juveniles it can also inhibit growth and delay onset of production. "Layer" is too low in protein and amino acids for chicks aside from the calcium issue.

SO useful advice!!!! i will look for another feeding! thanks!!!:wee

Don't forget that chickens are omnivores. They enjoy veggies, grass, and cereal grains (should be small amounts as they are often low protein and not diminishing the vitamins and minerals in the formulated ration is key). But they like bugs, and meat as well. :)

Yes! Right! i often let them stay out of the run and catch little animals! they're crazy for snails!

But if your birds seem fine and you want to hatch it up, do it. :jumpy I just wouldn't bring in any new birds and I also wouldn't try sell or give any away without knowing for sure what the sneezing and wheezing was and if it's something that runs it course and becomes history or if it lays latent waiting to re-emerge.

I'll never sell any of my birds :love
Yuhuuu really! i coooouuuuuld hatch! i was resigning myself! :p Yes i will definetly wait! At least to spring, maybe the next-next spring...
if my flock is immunized, they at most can trasmit virus at babies, but babies that -eventually- could catch it wouldn't be able to trasmit it another time to my hens...right?

Back
Top Bottom