Please an explanation about virus spreading

Waves

I feed chickens with italian pizza. No,I'm joking!
Apr 16, 2019
Centre of Italy
Ok, i'm me with my terrible flock, again :rolleyes:
I just would like to have an explanation/clarification.
Two weeks ago, one of my old hens passed for a respiratory virus.
I disinfected all with fire and i'm giving to my other flock apple vinegar and a nutritional supplement to avoid that others keep this. i don't know surely if they have already had this.
So, today, my roo went out of the coop (i didn't see him :barnie) and drank in a dirty waterer (dirty cause there were some old poops [i don't know who the poops are obviously]) that i didn't disinfect and that i putted out of the coop cause i didn't want they use it.
only one or two sips. then i ran, caught him and putted him in the coop.

so now i wonder. i read that respiratory viruses spread with inhalation of dusted poops.
Could my roo keep something (not unless he hadn't it before) again?! i'm terrified!
i was just counting 15 days from the disinfection to keep calm, and now this!
I'm feeling so so stupid cause i didn't throw away that stupid waterer!

Please tell me your opinion :fl

Two weeks ago, one of my old hens passed for a respiratory virus.
Sorry for your loss. :(

Don't beat yourself up over that water dish. Just learn from it so you don't repeat it in the future. :hugs

How old was your hen, what breed, and what symptoms made you think virus? What do you feed on a regular basis including treats and supplements?

If that hen was with the rest of your flock at the time she started showing symptoms... they have already been exposed whether or not they become symptomatic.

Keeping nutrition high by using a formulated ration and not diminishing nutrients with excess treats is a fantastic way to support a birds own immune system which rally's T- cells to fight viral infections.

Some virus are not a big deal... like fowl pox. They run their course and done. Other viruses can be a huge deal like Marek's (a herpes virus which takes at least 3 weeks from exposure before any symptoms can present, most often effecting young birds) or New Castle's....
http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/list-of-avian-diseases/

If you have another become symptomatic or pass, I would suggest getting a necropsy done by your state vet to determine the cause. It can be free or low cost in many cases. Links to help if you're in the US...
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

i was just counting 15 days from the disinfection to keep calm, and now this!
Since you're not even sure what it was (as far as I could tell anyways), 2 weeks may be an irrelevant time frame. Definitely keep calm! Let me share a couple links that might be of interest to you...
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry

Once this following blue link opens, use the "chickens" tab and click on the "symptom checker" tool to open it up and use it. It has lots of great info that's not 100% perfect and they are working on it all the time. Sometimes you need to clear it all the way (start over) after adding or subtracting symptoms to get it to change. But I still find it to be a great resource to give me ideas of what to research... always getting other resources (like the reliable Merck vet manual, other BYC'ers) to verify any treatment suggestions. And please remember not to jump to any conclusions, consider the WHOLE picture, and use your own judgement...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

Hoping everyone is well and thriving! :fl

Thank you very much friends :)
yes i said too less about the hen... here is her thred
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/21980243/
you can read about symptoms and all here..

What is your location? It would help to know that. You can go into your profile and edit your location later.
Im not sure exactly whats going on with yiur flock. What symptoms were they displaying when the first one passed?

I'm in Italy :) yes i'll add in my profile! i always forget to do it! :)

Sorry for your loss. :(

Don't beat yourself up over that water dish. Just learn from it so you don't repeat it in the future. :hugs

How old was your hen, what breed, and what symptoms made you think virus? What do you feed on a regular basis including treats and supplements?

If that hen was with the rest of your flock at the time she started showing symptoms... they have already been exposed whether or not they become symptomatic.

Keeping nutrition high by using a formulated ration and not diminishing nutrients with excess treats is a fantastic way to support a birds own immune system which rally's T- cells to fight viral infections.

Some virus are not a big deal... like fowl pox. They run their course and done. Other viruses can be a huge deal like Marek's (a herpes virus which takes at least 3 weeks from exposure before any symptoms can present, most often effecting young birds) or New Castle's....
http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/list-of-avian-diseases/

If you have another become symptomatic or pass, I would suggest getting a necropsy done by your state vet to determine the cause. It can be free or low cost in many cases. Links to help if you're in the US...
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

Since you're not even sure what it was (as far as I could tell anyways), 2 weeks may be an irrelevant time frame. Definitely keep calm! Let me share a couple links that might be of interest to you...
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry

Once this following blue link opens, use the "chickens" tab and click on the "symptom checker" tool to open it up and use it. It has lots of great info that's not 100% perfect and they are working on it all the time. Sometimes you need to clear it all the way (start over) after adding or subtracting symptoms to get it to change. But I still find it to be a great resource to give me ideas of what to research... always getting other resources (like the reliable Merck vet manual, other BYC'ers) to verify any treatment suggestions. And please remember not to jump to any conclusions, consider the WHOLE picture, and use your own judgement...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

Hoping everyone is well and thriving! :fl

i feed them with a complete organic mix, vegetables, grass, and sometimes i add some rice or other cereals (even quinoa sometimes)
Yes, the hen was for the whole time she had virus with the rest of the flock. i added some new chickens (with quarantine before) so i thought that they brang this virus. Then i had so many doubts and i'm not sure of nothing now! :oops: Only thing i'm sure is that all chickens stayed all the time with the sick hen!

I'm going to try your links! thank you so much!

So you are saying that they're already exposed.../"immunized"?
Yes i know that 15 are noting sure, it was only a psychologic date :)

I know this link is a lot. On pages 49 and 50 I see contacts in Italy that might be able to to help you find out how to get testing done...
http://www.fao.org/avianflu/conferences/new_delhi/docs/wildbird_hpai_manual.pdf

maybe i'm only worrying to much about this waterer
It's history so try to move forward. Clean that waterer. Again, if the remaining birds do present with symptoms it will from the time exposed way before that most likely. That link is about Avian Influenza, which not what I'm suggesting. It just appeared to be a good resource for finding out where to go next in your location.

Is another bird presenting now? Is it your rooster? Will check back again soon.

:fl

Really thank you so much for replying and spending time searching the link! :hugs

No, at the moment no one bird shows nothing!
I'm going to stop thinking at the waterer, finally:gigim moving forward this cleaning it and thinking it is like scratching and eating on the ground, and i cant disinfect all the ground :gig do you agree with this? ;)

Last edited:
i cant disinfect all the ground :gig do you agree with this?
Mostly, I do agree. I think the information given on the other thread about leaving it clear once your current birds are gone for a period of time can be helpful. Don't add more before they pass if you wanna get rid of whatever it was completely for sure. And don't bring home any sneezing birds even for quarantine. Was it you that's in Italy? Do y'all have hatcheries you can get birds from?

Also don't do things to invite other wild birds or animals to your place, extra. They still come here for all the flowers, bugs, and other natural goodies around here. But no feeders filled with nuts and seeds.

Also removing waste and not having bare ground can go a long ways towards keeping bacterial and parasitic loads in check.

Sometimes a sneeze is just a sneeze like during dirt bathing. Your most recent loss would surprise me if it wasn't age related in large part at 6 years old, she had a good run for a high production breed. :)

Thank you:):):)
Could it be unrecommandable to make born some pullets? I bought my silkie just to hatch some eggs! :barnie:rant:gig
Im not giving food to Wild birds and the coop has a fence on the roof!
Yes, i was worrying because i have another 6yy old chicken but Im definetly keeping calm:lau

Back
Top Bottom