Please-- anyone who's had to "put down" a pet... (UPDATED)

Momma_Cluck

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
N. West Michigan
Please help--
we have a young 5-6 week old Silkie that apparently Whopped his head and is now having siezures (also called Crookneck disorder)
Here is a link for anyone with Silkies-- IMO--a MUST read so you know BEFORE it ever happens!!
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=casestudiesemergencies&action=display&num=1160927052
(My Thanks to dlhunicorn!)

If it were you, and you know that (A) It DOES have a chance to recover..
but (B) it can take a week or more and (C) it could still suffer, die or have permanant damage---

how long would you wait to put it out of it's misery?
He's had at least 25 siezures so far today.... we are doing the treatment as suggested, but don't see a lot of improvement...and worry about whether he is suffering, and whether he may have permanant damage....

there Are NO Vets in our area that even deal with poultry-- Had to call a guy at the Veteranary college!!!

If I have to do this-- What is the most humane way????? ( it's making me sick even thinking about it)

ANY advice/opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am sooo sorry to hear about your little guy. Is there any way you could give him a few days to see if there is any chance of improvement? If he does not seem to be in pain that is. Good luck!

25 siezures in a day is way to much. Her brain is probably not recoverable. The most humane method is to chop its head off. Sorry, but it is.With all those siezures, she does not know what's going on around her. Unless you want to take it to the animal hospital and have them put it down.

Last edited:
If the bird is having 25 siezures a day I would cull it immediately.

We see this same post over and over here. It sucks to have to cull your pet.
Maybe I'm just insensitive to it because I've had to do it so many times. Heck,
my 7 year old will do it now if he thinks the bird is suffering.

Take a deep breath, say a prayer, have a drink or all of the above. I usually do.
Take a sharp knife and with a strong blow remove the head. Yes it is horrible
and you are going to feel like cr*p but after it wears off you will be stronger
for DOING THE RIGHT THING.

If you can't do it then maybe a friend, SO, or neighbor can handle it. If you were
closer I would be glad to help you.

Good luck and remember you can do it.

Well it is unfortunate, but just a few weeks ago I had to put 3 of my pullets down due to leg problems from birth. I kept them till they were 15 weeks old thinking that some miracle was going to make them walk again. I got to the point that I could not stand it anymore and had to put them down.

I AM A BIG TIME HUNTER and thought that doing the deed was going to be easy. It was very hard after caring for them for so long and holding them up to eat and drink. Don't grow anymore attached to them then what you already have.

Now the bad part:

Dig a hole, chop its head off and cover it up right away. Don't look back, go inside and get your mind off of it. You will feel better the next day.

Ray

hit.gif

I am sorry to hear that you may have to put your silkie down. I'm not a chicken expert or a vet but I do believe that we (humans) are caretakers of the animals and we have responsibility for them.

If he were completely without human intervention, he may have already passed away. If you decide that it is time to cull him, take comfort in knowing that you cared for him thoughout his illness and even in the end. It's not going to be easy but I'm sure you'll do what is best.

Peace and good luck,
Wendy

I had to euthanize a new chick with birth defects this morning.

I use starter fluid that contains ether which is a general anesthetic. I spray quite a bit on a folded paper towel, laid the chick on it and covered it with a large bowl to hold in the ether vapors. It only took a few minutes. First the chick will go to sleep from the anesthetic. If you were to take the ether away the chick would eventually wake up. By leaving it under the bowl it just gets an overdose of ether an passes away in it's sleep.

So sorry you have to deal with this...thinking about you...
hugs.gif

Ether I can do!!!
dunno if I could lop his head off, or break his neck (as my SIL suggested)... but Ether is definately doable!

I really do not think he is meant to make it-- as he isn't eating, drinking, his digestion has stopped (crop is full since this a.m.. thought maybe impacted-- but maybe just brain not telling it to work???)

Thank You everyone! Had been a crappy day-- first my Lil guy-- then Huby came to me and "sat me down" (Knew there was trouble then) and handed me the paper...

The poor Lady next door just lost her Husband (age 42) in February-- now her Mom... who was a wonderful woman I'd known for almost 25 years.... and the kids (aged 16, 8 and 6) have now lost a Grandfather, a Grandmother AND their Dad all in an 8 month period..... I can't imagine... and realy don't want to.......

Thanks again for helping, and letting me vent.

I had gotten a 3 Year old silkie rooster and about a week after I got them, he had a seizure and couldnt walk. And when he did walk he walked away into the woods, and I never saw him again. It was weird. I think he had a stroke.

Good Luck

Thanks again for the help everyone--
we put her down today, and had a nice little burial for her.
The Ether worked quickly, quietly, and very peacfully....

I had a hard time doing it-- but would have been much harder to do something as seemingly "violent" as breaking her neck or decapitating her--- thats why we don't raise meat birds!!!!!

Heck-- All we've been eating the last 3 years is chicken-- now that we raise em- Our daughter won't eat it!!!

Back
Top Bottom