Please Can Anyone Give Me Advice For My Sparkles Swollen Eye??

Sharylva

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Central Texas Hill Country
Any Advice? One of my chickens eye is extremely swollen, it has gone down some since last week and I have seen glimpses of her eye and it has started to drain a little. Didn't see any drainage last week. Other than her comb looking pale last week and the fact she hasn't been laying for about a month and a half she does not show any other signs of sickness, breathing is normal, and beak is dry. I have attached a couple of pictures but it is kind of hard to see.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Speckled Sussex, about 9 mths, not sure on the weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Left Eye is swollen. Seems to be acting normal this week, was a little lethargic last week, hasn't been laying for about 1 1/2 mths, her comb was almost white last week but is a little redder this week
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Noticed it last Tuesday morning(9/6/2011)
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. not unless something poked her in the eye
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not sure, wondering if something stung her eye
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Switched her back to chick starter for the higher protein content, got her chicken vitamins for her water, BOSS and a mixed bird seed(cracked corn, grains etc) and adding dried mealy worms for extra protein.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Was a little runny last week but is firmer this week
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Washing her eye with saline solution, treating it with terramycin, keeping her in the house so I can monitor her food and water intake and keep her eye out of the sun and away from my other chicken. (I only have the two)
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Will have to treat my self, I haven't found anyone in my area that treats chickens
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
In her coop I use pine shavings but since I have had her in the house I've been putting a towel in a portable kennel to eliminate any dust from getting in her eye

Thanks in advance for any advice. She is my first chicken and I would hate to lose her or her lose her sight.

Hi Sharylva,

I'm sorry to hear your girl isn't feeling well. The pale comb, ongoing lethargy, and lack of laying seem to indicate that this may be more than just an eye problem. It's great that you already have her separated and are giving her supportive care. She needs to be kept warm (but not too warm!), dry, and given every opportunity to eat and drink.

There are several possibilities to the cause:

Lack of vitamin A can cause hens to stop laying, and birds will occasionally show swollen, stuck-together eye lids or swollen eyes and/or sinuses. For this to occur, the nutritional deficiency would have to be long term, about 2-5 months without enough vitamin A. Alfalfa meal, new yellow corn, and orange/yellow vegetables are all good sources of vitamin A. Commercial laying rations should always be formulated with enough vitamin A.

There are several respiratory diseases that can present as a general poor condition, loss of weight, decreased laying, and swollen or infected eyes. Unfortunately, there is no way to diagnose for sure over the internet. It may be possible to get her through this, however there is the possibility that she may be a carrier of the disease for life. This would affect any future birds you bring into your flock.

I would suggest broad spectrum antibiotics, such as tylosin or tetracycline. If you are able to take her to a vet, he/she will be able to give her an appropriate drug. It's worth calling around, I've heard of vet visits costing as little as $50 with antibiotics.

I hope this helps, and wish you the very best of luck.

Quote:
I know that you are far more experienced than I am so I wanted to ask you a couple of questions. Her comb is already turned back to almost full color and she seems to have her energy back. The only medicine I have used is the terramycin on her eye and even though its not well yet the swelling has gone down considerably and looks much better. If it was something more serious than an eye infection do you think she would be getting better without putting her on antibiotics and do you think she should be showing other symptons by now, its been a week since I first noticed her eye swollen and her breathing is normal and she hasn't had any type of drainage from her beak. I do not think the lack of Vitamin A could be the cause since I feed her with quality feed and her favorite treat is canned corn. Thank you for all your information, great to know there is someone to ask.

Back
Top Bottom