Please can I throw them outside???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tbcross, May 9, 2009.

1. tbcross

tbcross Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Muddy Pond
    Ok I have fourteen - 6 wk old light brahma chicks I built this coop and run combo and am wondering if they will be ok to put out in it today when I get it done (will post pics later whole coop cost me $6.00![​IMG]) The house part which I will shut them in at night is floor grade plywood framed out with 4x4's and 2x4's and has a hardware cloth floor, I am gonna cover the floor with a linoleum scrap till they are 8 wks. The roof is floor grade plywood topped with a red tin roof, the dimensions are 28" W x 53" L x 30" H. Do I need to add a bulb or should they be able to self brood? The 15 day forcast has the lowest overnight as 45 degrees and temps in the day all over 70. They need to go out before I go crazy![​IMG] LOL ( I have 14- 1 wk. olds in another brooder add 3 kids, 1 husband, 1 small dog and 2 cats and that's the recipe for crazy lady)[​IMG]
    Barb

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    As long as your temp stays above 60 it will be fine. I put out mine in the summer at 5 weeks unless its wet weather

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Go for it! Check in the evening to see if they are huddled up and cold - maybe you can run an extension cord out there with a heat bulb, but I'd think they'll be okay. Fourteen standard brahmas will quickly outgrow the coop, but it sounds wonderful. Good luck with all your chickens (plus your family and other animals)!

4. RedHead

RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    ( I have 14- 1 wk. olds in another brooder add 3 kids, 1 husband, 1 small dog and 2 cats and that's the recipe for crazy lady)barnie

I'm glad I'm not the only crazy lady around here lol I just got my 100 cornish rocks and that on top of 24 Rhode Island Reds, 2 dogs, 1 cat, a tarantula and of course the hubby too is bad enough.
    They should be ok, if need be you can probably run a heat lamp out there for them if it gets too cold. But if they're fully feathered I'd assume they'd be ok.​

5. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd put them out in a heartbeat! They're feathered and can keep each other warm.

6. serinat

serinat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    mine have been outside since they were two weeks old. we had the heat lamp on continually at first; now, only at night or cold/wet days. they are in heaven and i got my bathroom back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by