Please Critique Horse!!

People! The OP is asking for a critique of the horse's conformation, not of the farm he's buying the horse from!!

There are a lot of TB and QH farms which use a stud chain on everything (as the OP has stated this farm does). Either way, with the stud chain wrapped around the nose band like that, it's not particularly severe.

Done... sorry
hide.gif

Tell us more about what you're looking for. What level jumping/eventing do you do? Do these horses have much training? Are you going to do further training yourself or send them to a trainer?

Quote:
The highest ive jumped is 2'6, so I would start at the lowest level and move up. The 2nd. one has some training. I am training them myself.

What training have these mares received? Are they green or have they competed and in what? The last thing you need is another green one, no matter how nice. And at ages 3 and 4, that is what these mares are. You need a horse who can teach you, not one who needs to be taught. Who has trained them? Do you know this trainer and does s/he have a track record, so to speak? Can you see other animals this person has trained so you know they are as experienced and successful training as they say they are? And if you are going to invest in another horse, do you have someone with some decent experience and success to train YOU? This is not something you can do by yourself. The last pix you posted showed someone who does not have a secure seat. You need help and guidance as much as you need another horse--maybe more! And you certainly do not need another green one.

You really should be looking at someone at least 7-8 years old. And while mares are nice, geldings do not get hormonal the way mares can!

JMO

Rusty

Quote:
I'm sorry but that is a recipe for disaster. You need someone to train YOU!

Rusty

Rusty is completely right. After reading through some of your older posts, I would highly recommend training with a trainer for a while before you buy a horse to train it yourself. You might consider talking to some to see if you can trade work for lessons. Most are more than happy to have someone help clean stalls, saddle horses, etc. in exchange for lessons. That's how I learned to ride, and how many others before me learned to ride as well.

Don't worry, you'll get there!!
big_smile.png

Okay here it goes

Horse A
; Overall this horse is a pleasing picture…It has a gentle eye and it is balanced in it’s overall conformation from what we can see in the picture. This type horse would be suitable for low level dressage. Also for English disciplines as jumping, hack etc. Problem… If you were to draw a line straight down from the shoulder blade through the front leg to the ground you will see that the horse is bearing it’s weight on it’s heels. The foot has grown in front of the weight bearing system… That is a big problem that is entirely man made either through improper shoeing or through LOF disease (Lack of Farrier)… This presents the problem in that the horse will likely go with it’s head up against the pain of the landing on the fore. For jumping that is unacceptable and will if untreated lead to other problems like a blown out back and/or bucking or refusal etc. The horse is forced on the landing to load all of it’s weight on the heels instead of the entire foot due to this atrophy… The result is a horse that will refuse the jump or jump it with poor and high bascule. It is possible the horse will give it a go and eventually blow out it’s back against the strain. This is a real problem for what you want to do with it… Is it fixable? Possibly.. I would consult with an EXPERT in barefoot hoofcare and get a person listed with the AANCP to work on this animal… It is a Navicular presentation.. not to say the horse is navicular… but that it is likely it has caudal heel pain.

Horse B
: This horse appears to be younger than horse A… which may or may not be a plus. This is a saddle type horse as to the opposed Hunter. This animal appears bright and well filled in on the corners. It does not appear to have had much work lately… The muscling on the neck shows that it holds it’s head up a lot… This could be due to stalling. The shoulder angle and the angle of hip would allow for very quick stops and starts. The horse has been nostrils and a large heartgirth that tells me there is some “hotblood” in it. That means that this horse is likely more sensitive than horse A. This can be a good thing if you have experience and like a horse with lots of go. For gaming and gymkana this is my choice.. It has a very short back so I would think there is some Arabian in it and that it would not be a great prospect for jumping due to the one less vertebrae in it’s spine. It is a sounder looking prospect from here. I would suspect that if this horse was well schooled it could be delightful. It’s gaits will not be as comfortable as horse A but the soundness and fun may be worth the trade-off. I would make sure that I get a farrier that is careful about taking the “bars” down into their proper position as this horse’s feet appear to have a pancake type appearance and the horses appear to be due for some hoof attention. Oh and one more thing… the topline on this horse when compared with the underline leads me to believe that this horse if it had a mind to could move quite a bit of ground for a small animal. A fairly good chance at a decent speed index… (of course all of this from a picture)… Would like to see some video of the animals. Thanks for the chance to give feedback.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The first horse looks to be more correct to me. I find that horse #2 ties in to low at the chest with it's neck and looks somewhat pot gutted, worms perhaps if not preggers in the pic.

This is not what was asked but :

I think you need something older and wiser. I went to a high school with an eventing program ( Ethel Walker) and while i stayed in the H/J world my friends almost all ( at 14, having 5 or 6 riding years under their belts) leased retired prelim horses and worked up to training ( or whatever the horse could still do comfortably) and THEN bought babies to bring along themselves.

OR

My favorite and better suggestion-

if you want to do more than 4-h /schooling type shows:

to go find a reputable trainer with kids showing in what you have a desire to do. I can almost promise you will not find an event trainer who also does gaming and western speed events- you can do both- but you may need 2 trainers or 2 horses- not every horse makes the switch.

Let him/her whip you into shape and THEN buy a horse- WITH the trainer. you'll pay a commission ( usually 10-15% of the purchase price)

BUT you know that horse will work out because you will have had a trial and you will be a better rider.

You are not ready for ANOTHER baby to bring along- Obviously we've all commented on your other threads that if your coming to a chicken forum for horse advice then you are NOT ready to be training your own. In eventing the jumps don't fall down (well they do in stadium but thats not the point)...it's not simply the issue of you dont know enough to teach a horse to jump knock down fences any more- you could seriously injure a baby over x-c jumps.

Can you just go find a good trainer and LEASE something if it has to be "yours" ?

FYI a reputable trainer will have a facility not a dirt patch and broken down stalls ( not saying this is what you have now, but things to look for) all horses will be in good condition- nice maintained feet, appropriate tack on the lesson horses- riders in all the lessons should be in control and have decent seats(not bouncing all over the place and jabbing their horses mouths)- all the barns I rode at as a kid if you were unable to control the horse or have a quiet hand you were riding in a private or 2 person lesson till you got the basics. Bottom line, a good trainer will have confidence in their program, riders and school animals.

Back
Top Bottom