Please critique my chicken catcher

Susan49

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 13, 2013
So at my request, DH made me a chicken catcher. We have over a hundred birds in several free ranging flocks and I needed an easy way to get my hands on individual birds to examine them or treat them. We looked online and found instructions to make this simple tool (egg is in the photo for size reference, it's an average size egg).

Trouble is, it's not working and the darned birds are so quick I can't tell what's not right about it.

I watched videos of a guy using a tool like this and he just scoops up the chickens no problem. When I try it, it's like their foot goes right through it.

Is the loop part too big perhaps? I tried pinching the narrow part closed more but couldn't get it around a leg. I also tried opening it more thinking it was too tight for a leg to slip in but I couldn't catch me a chicken that way, which makes me think their leg is going in, but as soon as they pick their foot up the toes drop down and the whole foot slips out the loop.

Anyone had success using one of these catchers? If so, would you share your secret method please?

Loop too big and should not go more than 180 degree on the part that snares leg. Gap needs to be between 1/2 and 3/4 inches. End of wire needs to be coiled on itself to prevent poking bird on return stroke.

I agree it looks too big. I've not used one of these myself, but was sure waning one recently when two different buyers showed up early after specifically being told the birds had to be roosting to be caught
roll.png
. Anyway, I don't think you want so mch of a loop on the end as just a U shape.

How long is the whole metal area? Did you ever get this adjusted to work satisfactorily? I want too make one. Have to catch 3 young roos that we thought might be hens early on. They are trouble makers and need to go. Any advice is appreciated.

Loop too big and should not go more than 180 degree on the part that snares leg. Gap needs to be between 1/2 and 3/4 inches. End of wire needs to be coiled on itself to prevent poking bird on return stroke.

About how long would you say the metal part should be from the bend to the end coiled part you mentioned?

Mine is V shaped with the hook part 2 inches long x 1 inch wide. Works good if you can ever get it around their leg. Works best if the chickens are calm & still and huddled together. Trying to hook one on the run is a challenge.
It's great for pulling them from cages when the cage is deeper than my arm is long.

Back
Top Bottom