Please educate me on Ducks

Muscovy do not fly! Too heavy!

Wow! Thank you to Everyone. You are all GREAT!!! I am kind of excited about getting ducks now. Veronicasmom - Pekins and Mutt ducks can NOT fly or do you clip their wings also? I don't understand about clipping wings and would prefer not to have to do it. I will learn if I have to. Is there some breeds that are friendlier than others? I sure a lot has to do with the amount of handling and interaction. All my chickens were incubated in my bathtub in the 'bator and brooded in my livingroom and got held every day. I'm thinking the same set up would not be possible with needing water for the ducklings?

BTW - I live in MO.

Now, to tell my dear patient husband he has more building to do. LOL

Thanks again!!

Clipping a wing is very easy. Just catch the bird, use large kitchen shears and pull one wing out away from the bird's body. Using the shears, cut about an inch or two off the longest feathers in the wing. It doesn't hurt them at all. You are just creating an inbalance so that when they try to fly they can't fly straight. When they molt and grow new feathers just reclip. This method allows the bird the ability to still use their wings to help them if a preditor attacks them. The other method actually removes the very end of the bony part of the wing and I don't use that method as it would hurt the bird and of course would not grow back each molt. This is the method that commercial growers use. Also I read that mascovy ducks are actually a type of goose. They look more like a goose as well. Hope this helps you some.

Someone needs to tell our Scovy they shouldn't be flying then. They fly as well as the wild mallards. Call ducks are excellent fliers too.

You don't have to clip the wings on heavy breeds like Rouen, Pekin, Silver Appleyard. Why do you want ducks? Do you want lots of eggs? Just friendly pets? How many would you like to have? Warning they are like chips, can't have just one, and they come with duck match (not to be confused with chicken math).

Where in MO are you?
Wow! Thank you to Everyone. You are all GREAT!!! I am kind of excited about getting ducks now. Veronicasmom - Pekins and Mutt ducks can NOT fly or do you clip their wings also? I don't understand about clipping wings and would prefer not to have to do it. I will learn if I have to. Is there some breeds that are friendlier than others? I sure a lot has to do with the amount of handling and interaction. All my chickens were incubated in my bathtub in the 'bator and brooded in my livingroom and got held every day. I'm thinking the same set up would not be possible with needing water for the ducklings?

BTW - I live in MO.

Now, to tell my dear patient husband he has more building to do. LOL

Thanks again!!

Someone needs to tell our Scovy they shouldn't be flying then. They fly as well as the wild mallards. Call ducks are excellent fliers too.

You don't have to clip the wings on heavy breeds like Rouen, Pekin, Silver Appleyard. Why do you want ducks? Do you want lots of eggs? Just friendly pets? How many would you like to have? Warning they are like chips, can't have just one, and they come with duck match (not to be confused with chicken math).

X2 on the duck math. I am in SO much trouble if my husband ever opens my bator.. :)

Clipping a wing is very easy. Just catch the bird, use large kitchen shears and pull one wing out away from the bird's body. Using the shears, cut about an inch or two off the longest feathers in the wing. It doesn't hurt them at all. You are just creating an inbalance so that when they try to fly they can't fly straight. When they molt and grow new feathers just reclip. This method allows the bird the ability to still use their wings to help them if a preditor attacks them. The other method actually removes the very end of the bony part of the wing and I don't use that method as it would hurt the bird and of course would not grow back each molt. This is the method that commercial growers use. Also I read that mascovy ducks are actually a type of goose. They look more like a goose as well. Hope this helps you some.

Muscovy are not a type of goose! There are 2 breeds that started all the ther duck breeds. Muscovy and Mallard. Muscovy stayed Muscovy! Mallard has some part in every other duck breed out there! That is why you can cross breed every other duck and get pretty breedable babies. If you cross any other duck with a Muscovy, the resulting babies will be sterile. A Muscovy must stay a Muscovy! But they are most certainly not geese! Sorry!

Sorry! My Muscovy don't and have never tried to fly! Don't know why! Guess mine are lazy! HEHEHE!!!!

Back
Top Bottom