Please, everyone post pictures of your shabby and chic coops here

Learningstill

Songster
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
I have been trying to locate coop pictures and find it too time consuming. My daughter is a 4-Her and we are in over our head with animals. We need to build something and I am looking to do the easiest, cheapest way. My husband and I are new to the farm life, so we do not have any knowledge, nor are we handy, and we are both fatherless, with the exception to our lord. Needless to say, we are LOST! We were honestly looking to make it with pallets.

I would like photos of all coops, idea reasons, but I especially would like durable, cost effective coops. We have ducks, chickens, rabbits, and goats. Are yard is narrow, and the coop would be in our front-side yard.

Thank you very much.

We were going to use our son's old play set for ours which would have not cost much at all. Unfortunately we ended up with too much wood rot on it so we had to buy all new wood. Then it was all said and done our supplies, including the wire for the run, costs us around $400-$450.00. If you have a play set that is in good condition you could get out a lot cheaper. There's an idea for one on Pinterest. Here is a picture of our coop and run.

The one on Pinterest used 1x1...or I think that is what they are called...to close up the cub house portion of the play set to make the coop. Since our wood was so rotted and because we are not skilled carpenters it was easier for us to use sheets of siding. Easier ,but more expensive I'm sure. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

Ours was made with sheets of plywood and 2x4s that my husband found out by the dumpster where he works. The only money we spent was on screws and hinges (I even had a barrel bolt already, so we didn't even have to buy one of those). The pictures are from various stages of completion, in no particular order. :) (I had to search all over the mister's computer for them as mine's in the shop.) It's small, but it's a starter, and we will build onto/replace it in time.

Our coop is constructed using a storage shed kit purchased from a local home improvement store. We modified it by adding sliding "chicken doors", a wire front for ventilation during the summer, windows, and nest boxes constructed of extra materials (from where we cut the window openings).

We were going to use our son's old play set for ours which would have not cost much at all. Unfortunately we ended up with too much wood rot on it so we had to buy all new wood. Then it was all said and done our supplies, including the wire for the run, costs us around $400-$450.00. If you have a play set that is in good condition you could get out a lot cheaper. There's an idea for one on Pinterest. Here is a picture of our coop and run.

The one on Pinterest used 1x1...or I think that is what they are called...to close up the cub house portion of the play set to make the coop. Since our wood was so rotted and because we are not skilled carpenters it was easier for us to use sheets of siding. Easier ,but more expensive I'm sure. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

Oh, good idea with the playhouse. We do not have one, but I have a raggedy metal swing set, maybe I could rig up something sort of like your triangular play yard. Thank you very much for your ideas and sharing your photos.

Ours was made with sheets of plywood and 2x4s that my husband found out by the dumpster where he works. The only money we spent was on screws and hinges (I even had a barrel bolt already, so we didn't even have to buy one of those). The pictures are from various stages of completion, in no particular order. :) (I had to search all over the mister's computer for them as mine's in the shop.) It's small, but it's a starter, and we will build onto/replace it in time.
Thank you for searching for the photos. I am really glad about the in progress photo, I always wonder what they look like inside. I am thinking ours may be smaller at first too, but eventually I would like to make larger coops. I am overwhelmed and intimidated, not a good combo. :) Thanks again!

Our coop is constructed using a storage shed kit purchased from a local home improvement store. We modified it by adding sliding "chicken doors", a wire front for ventilation during the summer, windows, and nest boxes constructed of extra materials (from where we cut the window openings).
Wow, I cannot imagine mine would ever look this nice. Great job! We currently have a metal storage shed for our goats, but have not altered it at all. Thank you for sharing and posting the inside and outside photos. This gives me ideas to give their coop decor.

Back
Top Bottom