BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Hi All,

We've taken all the feedback we've received over the past 6 months and have been discussing reorganizing the BYC Forum to make posting, searching & reading a bit easier. This mostly includes moving / renaming forums.

The changes may take some of us a while to get used to but we're really hoping that the long term benefits will outweigh the initial short term confusion.

We're beginning this process now and will keep you posted with the changes as they happen.

Feel free to offer additional comments and suggestions here.

Okay, most of the big moves / changes are done!

The biggest thing you'll notice is that General & Social have been changed and moved. The goal here was to "encourage" everyone to better categorize their new topics. It is just too easy (and I fell victim of this myself) to post in General or Social as they were at the very top and the most popular sections.

As stated in the description of the new "Everything Else Chicken" forum: "Formerly Known As "General Discussion" If your topic is about chickens AND doesn't fit in any other section of this category then post your new thread here until we either move it or create a new forum / category."

A few other notes / thoughts:

1) Changed order and grouping of categories and forums
2) Changed "From Egg to Hatch" to "Eggs, Incubation, & Hatching" to include stuff like "look at this egg" etc.
3) In the next few days we'll be combining "Emergencies / Diseases and Cures" It seems like members have a hard time determining what goes in which forum (I know I do). Our opinion: any sick/hurt chicken is an "emergency".
4) Changed "General" to "Everything Else Chicken" and put toward the bottom (see note above)
5) Changed "Social" to "Me, My Chickens, My Family"
6) Change "What Breed Is This?" to "What Breed Or Gender is This?"
7) Thinking about adding something like "Chit-Chat" for "everything else" that is non-chicken related. News, current events, etc. This would be an attempt to keep more stuff out of "everything else chickens" that doesn't belong.
8) Should all the breed forums remain their own category or mixed in with the other categories?

Again, we know change isn't always easy, but we think this is for the best. Please post your suggestions and please encourage everyone to post their new topics / threads in the appropriate category / forum!

I guess I was under the impression that "Social Side" was for everything not chicken related like "My husband got a new job!" "Photos of my new baby" "I hate President Bush!" -- kind of stuff. Under the new organization, where would all of this go????

Thanks Rob & CC for all your hard work! I very much appreciate all y'all do for us. I'm an old-timer and not much on change, but I'll give it a go.

THANK YOU Rob! This reorganization will make it easier to put your post where it is most suited and will get the proper attention AND it will take a huge load off the mods who are refiling misplaced threads and we will have more time be able to participate more!

Although, putting Other Poultry (Meaning DUCKS) in miscellaneous is quite hurtful. THey should have their own DUCKS ARE THE COOLEST forum so everyone can worship more easily.
love.gif

I forgot to say thanks for all the hard work that goes into maintaining this site (and keeping the crazy people out!
lol.png
)

You guys ROCK!

Looks great! Although I am sad that my suggestion for a "What sex is my bird" category didn't get the thumbs up. Can't win them all, right?

I think this new structure will be very helpful! Nicely done.

Edit: OH wait! It is there at the bottom! Kinda hidden, but I feel so much better now. Thanks!

-MTchick

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm sure there are people logging into the forum and saying, "Oh my gosh... all my posts in General and Social are gone!!!"

Nope... just moved.
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah, that's where the confusion fell. The problem was... did the non chicken stuff go in social or general? There didn't seem to be an obvious distinction and hopefully this will clear things up.

The topics like: "My husband got a new job!" "Photos of my new baby" should still go in the new "social" which is "Me, My Chickens, My Family"

The non-chicken related chit chat, news, current events, off the wall / doesn't-fit-anywhere-else topics will probably go in a new forum called "Chit Chat" or something similar.

BTW, any ideas for a name for this News / current events / other section?

Back
Top Bottom