Please help! 2 hatched chicks have strange leg issues

blr8t2

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Ok so these are incubator babies, 6 hatched, one died he was just too weak to go on. All was good until day 2 when 2 of the chicks got a strange problem. They aren't splayed legged but their legs kinda push up toward he fronts of them. so basically they are sitting on their butts and resting on their "elbows". They keep cheeping, which in my experience means they are not doing ell and will end up dying. HOw do I fix this?? Can I tape a cottonbal in such a way that their legs can't do this or ?? Will try to get a pic

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Get some SaveAChick vitamins with electrolytes, or another brand of chick vitamins, and start treating them right away for a riboflavin (vitamin B2 deficiency. Make sure they are drinking plenty of water. A chick chair may help them get upright, and place their food and water close enough to get enough nourishment.

blr8t2

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Ok I will look into that tomorrow morning thanks! I hobbled one and put some cloth in the bottom of the cage. It is wire and I put paper in it, maybe they are splayed from the paper but these 2 aren't the same as others I have had splayed. My son is holding and feeding/watering the other right now. Would hate to lose them :(

Top Bottom