Please Help!! 5 week old chick suddenly lethargic.

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
5 week old Australorp suddenly became really lethargic and weak looking.
She isn't that active and was doing fine this morning.
Her voice is nearly gone and squeaky. She was really loud before when i used to pick her up but she wasn't able to chirp so loudly.
While free-ranging, she just sat down.
Her droppings seems normal.

I did feed her and the other 3 chicks some red lentils in the morning as a treat. Rest are doing fine.
20201020_170339.jpg
16031958257207105889375388863406.jpg
16031957884276180105524253461038.jpg
20201020_171149.jpg

5 week old Australorp suddenly became really lethargic and weak looking.
She isn't that active and was doing fine this morning.
Her voice is nearly gone and squeaky. She was really loud before when i used to pick her up but she wasn't able to chirp so loudly.
While free-ranging, she just sat down.
Her droppings seems normal.

I did feed her and the other 3 chicks some red lentils in the morning as a treat. Rest are doing fine.
View attachment 2379977View attachment 2379978View attachment 2379979View attachment 2379980
Hard to tell, but the poop looks like it may have some blood in it. Can you watch for her to poop some more and smear it on a white paper towel or something like that to see if there's blood?
Do you provide grit (crushed granite/small rocks) for your chicks?

Her being fluffed up like that I would check her crop to see how that feels, but I would lean toward Coccidiosis being an issue.
You are in SE Asia, so what do you have available to treat Coccidiosis? Corid (Amprolium/Amprol), Coxoid, Toltrazuril or sulfa antibiotics are some common treatment options for Coccidiosis.

Hard to tell, but the poop looks like it may have some blood in it. Can you watch for her to poop some more and smear it on a white paper towel or something like that to see if there's blood?
Do you provide grit (crushed granite/small rocks) for your chicks?

Her being fluffed up like that I would check her crop to see how that feels, but I would lean toward Coccidiosis being an issue.
You are in SE Asia, so what do you have available to treat Coccidiosis? Corid (Amprolium/Amprol), Coxoid, Toltrazuril or sulfa antibiotics are some common treatment options for Coccidiosis.
Sorry but we don't have those medicines here.
When she came, i also suspected her and another pullet for having Coccidiosis so i gave them regularly magic water (apple cider vinegar, sugar and crushed garlic and ginger)
We do provide them with grit as their cage is filled with soil.
Her crop has food bits and a lot of water.
I noticed that after free-ranging, all of my chicks drank a lot of magic water.

Sorry but we don't have those medicines here.
When she came, i also suspected her and another pullet for having Coccidiosis so i gave them regularly magic water (apple cider vinegar, sugar and crushed garlic and ginger)
We do provide them with grit as their cage is filled with soil.
Her crop has food bits and a lot of water.
I noticed that after free-ranging, all of my chicks drank a lot of magic water.
Can you check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to make sure it's empty? If it's not emptying overnight, that can make her feel bad and you will need to treat that.

Do you have any pet shops or feed supply stores that sell bird antibiotics or medications?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Do you have veterinary care where they might give you sulfa antibiotics? Make sure that she is drinking well, and you might try some plain yogurt mixed with a little cooked egg. Buttermilk is also good if you have that. I would not recommend giving vinegar water to a chick with possible cocccidiosis. Keep her bedding dry and clean since the more coccidia organisms in her poop and the dirt she is exposed to can make her more sick.

Can you check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to make sure it's empty? If it's not emptying overnight, that can make her feel bad and you will need to treat that.

Do you have any pet shops or feed supply stores that sell bird antibiotics or medications?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Do I remove their food now? Because they eat all day long.
Yes, we do have stores which sell medications

Back
Top Bottom