PLEASE HELP ASAP! Phoebe's beak is hurt, she's not eating! Weak!

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
I went to let the girls out and give them some treats and I noticed that Phoebe's beak was hurt. There's a spot of blood near the top and the whole tip looks cocked off to one side a little. I wasn't too concerned (Vanda scraped hers once) but then when I went to feed them treats I noticed that although she tried to peck at things she wasn't eating. So I brought her inside and offered her a piece of bread, her absolute favorite thing. She made attempts to peck at it but stopped herself and didn't eat a thing. She is also acting sort of weak and funny. I have her on the floor of my office with me with bread, (I even tried tiny little pieces) and water but she is just standing there. her crop is empty but she did just poop a little, so she must have eaten SOMETHING fairly recently.

Does anyone have any ideas??? I am REALLY concerned about this!! She is NOT acting right!!

UPDATED: Here are pics. It definitely looks like the whole bottom tip is knocked off to the side. She is being really weird, just standing still on the floor if I leave her there, or, now, standing on my lap without moving. She is normally just friendly but active. She seems INTERESTED in the bread, but will sort of feint away from it when the tip of her beak brushes it and won't eat. I am SO WORRIED!!!!

Stacey

phoebebeak1.jpg
phoebebeak2.jpg
phoebebeak3.jpg

Last edited:
I am sorry to do this but I need to bump this up so maybe someone will read it and have some ideas for me before Olivia gets home from school. I tried banana too, thinking something soft would make it easier for her to eat, but she did the same thing. I am thinking about going out to get some yogurt and trying that. Gosh I hope she will be OK. This behavious is so weird. It's like she's in slow motion compared to normal. So I am afraid she is either dehydrated or something, or seriously ill/injured!

My Cleopatra broke off the end of her beak and could not eat anything, it was too sensitive. So I mixed applesauce (warmed in microwave to get the chill off) and layer feed. Let it soften and then gave to her. She did eat and Purty join her which encouraged her a little more. The next day she was eating fine.
So I would try to get very soft, warm food into her. Yogurt would work good too.
Phoebe's beak may be hurt worse than Cleo's but I guess you have to start somewhere to see just how bad it is.

a beak injury is painful...and this is probably why she is not eating.
You can get some handfeeding formula for baby parrots (it is a powder that you mix water into) once it is less painful and start to heal she will go back to her normal feed.

Looks pretty fresh too so I bet it really stings. The feeling is probally like getting a papercut under your nail so your nail gets lifted up. Soft food and a day or so will help it heal up. Good luck.

Ouch! It looks like you may have to feed her for a few days. If you have to actually put it down her throat and you have never done it before, make sure someone shows you how so you don't get it into the lungs.
Good luck.

Chickbea...

How do you do it without getting food in the lungs?

We've been putting shelless sunflower seeds in her beak and she's eaten those and some yougurt but her crop is completely empty. HELP HELP HELP I'm afraid she's going to die

-Olivia

Last edited:
Hi this is Stacey. I have been taking shell-less sunflower seeds (their absolute favorite) and putting them in the side of her mouth. She then swallows it herself. Is that OK? She seems to like it somewhat: although she struggles while I am doing it, she seems very interested in the handful of seeds after I succeed in getting one in her mouth. She then tries to eat one herself but can't pick it up with her beak. It is so sad! She tries to scratch around with the other girls (albeit very half-heartedly) but can't peck anything. Then she just stands there and goes to sleep. She's pretty lethargic.

Is this kind of force feeding OK? Is it enough? (I cannot feel anything in her crop at all. I think all she has had since the injury -and I have no idea how long ago it was!- is about a teaspoon of yogurt and maybe 10 seeds. I tried to get her to drink by dipping her beak, and maybe she got a few drops, but not much water, either.

HELP!!!

Would it help to take a syringe without the needle and dribble water into the beak for her? Not force it towards her throat (wouldn't want it to go down the wrong way), but just drip it in the side of her beak and then let her swallow?

Not an expert here, so someone else correct me if that isn't a good idea...

Back
Top Bottom