PLEASE HELP ASAP! Phoebe's beak is hurt, she's not eating! Weak!

Well we have worked out something at least... she's a smart girl. We decided to try bread again. I broke off a tiny bit and flattened one side of it ti a point. Then tried to get her to open her mouth and stuck the flat part in the side. She gobbled it down and tied herself, but no luck. So we went back to the hand-feeding and got almost a quarter of a slice of whole wheat bread in her. We'll keep trying to get some more in her. Maybe not the most nutritious in the world, but its soft and she likes it. Do you all think this is OK?

What about water????

THANK YOU!!

I agree about the syringe without a needle. You can put yogurt with some crumbles mixed in to make a mash and squeeze it gently into the side of her mouth and then let her swallow every time. You can do water too but be careful to only let a drop or two at a time out. If you can get some electrolytes that would be good right now while she is not eating much. If not, try gatorade in a pinch. Let us know how she is doing.

Marie

It sounds like you are doing what you can with the food. I'm sure she appreciates your help and attention! You're right to be concerned about her drinking. Don't let her get dehydrated. Take a needle-less syringe or an eye dropper and try to give her some water. If you have liquid vitamins to mix with the water, that may help in this situation, because she's so stressed and you know she's not eating particularly well right now. Dribble some water at room temperature or slightly warmer into her beak--don't try to squirt anything down her throat because it can go down the wrong way. If you get some in her mouth, she should swallow it. It may be a slow process, but it should help her feel better. She needs water for her body to function properly.

Poor thing! It looks awfully painful, but she should recover. She's probably just shocked right now. I wonder how it happened? Keep her warm, and when she's eaten and has had enough to drink, let her rest quietly. She'll probably feel much better tomorrow, and may be able to eat and drink on her own.

fl.gif

Hopefully other people will continue to chime in with good advice!

It's going to get down in the low 40s tonight... but it seems to me she'd be much more stressed to be separated from her buddies, alone inside the house, than out in the coop as usual. Do you agree?

I'm going to get a syringe/eye dropper at the store right now.

That is good. And I think as long as she has her friends she should be warm enough. I would not stress her any further by bringing her in. But that is just me. Hope she continues to heal. Keep us posted.

Marie

Eee - I had to go to a meeting but I've been thinking about your girl. It sounds like you are doing everything right.
Poor little girl - I wonder how it happened? I'm sure it really hurts, so she probably will be reluctant to eat. She may lose weight during her recovery.

I think you can use your judgment on whether to bring her in or not. You probably know what would stress her out more. So glad she's getting your care, and I hope she recovers quickly!

:aww

i dont think you should let her peck on hard stuff....or it looks like its going to chip of...just feed her something soft

Back
Top Bottom