Please help! Baby chick is lame.

It may be a vitamin deficiency. B-12 might help this chick. I would just get a bottle of B-12 tablets, crush one a day and sprinkle it over the chick's food. It can't overdose on B vitamins as they're water soluble and any excess will be eliminated.

That is a good thought. They have Purina start and grow in the chick feeder but I did put a flock grazer block out for the big hens this past weekend and I’ve seen the chicks eating on that quite a bit. Maybe I need to close it in the brooder with only access to the chick food and water.

A few years ago i bought 10 chicks, the store had one chick which was crippled, They gave me this chick free because they obviously could not sell. It lasted a few days and died. No one can figure out why a chick comes out mis-formed. I hope yours survives. you will have to make sure it gets to feed and water. Good luck.

This morning the chick was laying on her back with legs splayed and her neck twisted so that her head was upright. I gave her some iron free polyvisol and separated her from the rest of the flock with her own food (with vitamin b added) and water. I haven’t been able to get her to eat or drink yet, but I will continue the polyvisol and see how things go. So far no noticeable difference.

:( Try mixing boiled egg yolk mixed in it's crumbles, make a mash. You can also make a sling so it can sit upright or support it in a cup/mug. :fl Hope it shows some improvement soon. Hoping it's not a neurological issue, have you checked for injuries?

Back
Top Bottom